croissanti's review

emotional funny hopeful informative reflective medium-paced

nerdbrarian's review

Fans will love this love letter to the fantastic world of Star Trek, from The Original Series through Strange New Worlds and beyond. Much of the book focuses on The Original Series and movies, but every era is covered, with a multitude of interviews from actors, writers and producers who all brought Star Trek to life. If you haven't watched all the shows, keep in mind that Britt includes some spoilers, but as this was clearly written for fans, I will give him a pass. Tons of behind-the-scenes nuggets and controversies are also covered. Fans will come away remembering why they love Star Trek in the first place, and perhaps willing to give some of the shows they haven't tried yet a chance. As Britt writes, "The power of Star Trek is that it teaches you, over and over again, how to live better. How to be a more thoughtful and kinder person."

merryberries's review

(3.25/5 stars) I enjoyed this on audiobook, and learned a lot about how Star Trek has constantly evolved and cemented its place in pop culture for generations. Ryan Britt is clearly a very knowledgeable Trekker/Trekkie (you choose), and this book is great for casual fans and superfans alike. There are extensive interviews included and it's truly fascinating to look behind the scenes at one of the biggest nerd fandoms out there.

okmuser's review

funny hopeful informative inspiring medium-paced

elenushka8's review against another edition

funny informative lighthearted medium-paced

shawn_annets's review

hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing slow-paced

samofthepnw's review

I really enjoyed this book. Even as a pretty big TNG fan I learned a lot. Star Trek has done so much for science fiction and entertainment.

jrc2011's review

I enjoyed this as an audio book on a road trip -- at 1.5x speed, the author's informative, gossipy blog-style prose is entertaining and engaging. It was fun and made me laugh.

sensira's review

informative inspiring medium-paced

cdubiel's review

informative inspiring fast-paced

Fabulous book for fans! Written by a longtime sci-fi journalist, this book delves into the history of Star Trek like no other, pulling out the deep cuts and bringing in top-notch criticism. Many of the stars were interviewed personally for this book, but Britt's commentary could carry the book on its own. This is not just a history, but a comprehensive look at the franchise and how it's changed over the years, plus the impact it's made on society.