brittni915's review

Holy grail of backyard homesteading! An amazing resource.

jephers's review

This book covers a lot of interesting topics. Unfortunately, it covers A LOT of interesting topics, but BARELY covers any of them. It's definitely a great starter book for someone interested in all sorts of backyard gardening, food preserving, livestock raising, bee keeping, maple tree tapping/syrup making, etc topics, but think of it more as a book to sort of make you aware of the basic ideas/issues, and then from there you can decide if you want to read more by getting other resources.

The funny thing is, I didn't even remember checking out and reading parts of this book before... Because of it's broad-yet-shallow coverage, it just doesn't catch the attention that well I'm afraid.

eswee's review

informative

Very factual. This book is action packed and full of lists. It really is more of a reference book than interesting to read. As such, it covers A LOT of things you might possibly want to learn about when starting your own half-acre homestead.

heyitscorah's review

This is what we've been going to all summer as we're learning to start our own garden... it's very helpful in planning, etc. It also has help in how to do canning, which I hope to be doing within the next few months.

djinnmartini's review

looking forward to our new life with a Nigerian dwarf mini goat

joyfulbri's review

For me, this book was a great introduction into all the possibilities of producing food on my own land. Its approachable, and a great start to diving deeper into certain topics. I know I will be continuing to reference this book as I plan my own homestead!

katie_voss's review

Loved it. Wish I had more time to devote to growing my own wheat fields and making my own cheese.

kitsana_d's review

Skimmed - not a lot of new info for me.

arachne_reads's review

This is a solid book that touches shallowly on a broad number of homesteading topics. That breadth lent a rather rapid-fire feel to the delivery of its info. I was most grateful for the list of references for further reading. If you want to go deep into a topic, this is not your book. If you want a survey of what might be possible ( like most of these books, it's skewed toward tips suited for more northerly climes), or a jumping off point, this isn't a bad place to start. Wasn't quite the book I was looking for.

annascottcross's review