Irma Voth, by Miriam Toews

invaderlinz's review

emotional funny hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced

janeschmidtreads's review against another edition

Exercised our book-club rule where if you got through the first 25 pages and honestly didn't want to finish, you aren't obliged.

gilbertsmom's review

adventurous emotional reflective medium-paced

crabbygirl's review against another edition

didn't like it. I've read 3 other books by her and really enjoyed them, but this one was disjointed and (unnecessarily) dark and depressing. plus she uses ugly language in reference to a baby which I cannot relate to at all. lastly, the three sisters somehow land on their feet all due to a nice couple that takes them into their B&B - with a maid job for the oldest, tons of free time for the 13 yo to go school and get a boyfriend, and free babysitting at a moment's notice for the infant.

wordnerdy's review against another edition

kknoll05's review

adventurous challenging informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

adabubba's review

challenging emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

I am once again astonished by Miriam Toews ability to craft a story full of characters as far removed from myself as can be, yet whose thoughts and feelings and sins and pains grapple my heart the way they do.

Irma Voth is an astonishing tale about freedom. What does it mean and how do we seek it? I found myself gripped by the twist of the story and its people, and even now, after have just finished reading it, I ache to discover it again and experience it anew.

pia_h's review

challenging fast-paced

medievaljenga's review against another edition

mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

an_enthusiastic_reader's review

More people should read this novel about a young woman, Irma, and the complications of her life as a Mennonite in exile in Mexico. She's constrained by her father and then a husband, but when a film crew arrives in the village to make a crazy avant garde movie, her involvement in the filming changes her life. It is simply written, yet full of emotion and intellect. Recommended. I will be reading more Miriam Toews.