Truthwitch, by Susan Dennard

cvd04's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

World building is nice but characters not deep and don’t like FMC

rachelroo13's review against another edition

So this book got a lot of hype from my Twitter feed, with the Luminaries thread going on, and I just had to read it to see if it lived up. I have to say, I really enjoyed it! The characters are well rounded, there's just enough mystery to keep you interested, and the whole idea of witcheries is fascinating. Merik reminds me very much of Kaladin Stormblessed in the best way, which I guess would make Safi the Shallan of the bunch?? They are both very stubborn... Aeduan is intriguing, and I NEED to know more about the Puppeteer. My one complaint is that you get thrown head first into the world with very little explanation, i.e. cleaving (which I still don't understand? Like what do people think is happening and what do they think triggers it??) and thread families. I would ask for just a little more exposition to help me understand the world while also keeping me interested, because while I enjoyed the read, I found myself getting distracted by the things I didn't quite understand.

thebartbenjamin's review against another edition

Ugh... Pech do książek ostatnio - zdecydowanie.

DNF, porzucona w 1/3. Niespójne (i irytujące!) postacie, oklepane motywy, nielogiczny system magii. A na dokładkę skopane tłumaczenie (były fragmenty, w których musiałem zajrzeć do oryginału, żeby rozumieć, co się dzieje. Tak, tłumacze z jakiegoś powodu modyfikowali treść w taki sposób, że np usuwali kluczowy element zdanie wyjaśniający akcję...).

2021 to rok, w którym nie mam czasu na przeciętne książki. Ale i tak pozostawiam swoją ocenę.

ishouldreadthat's review against another edition

I'm so happy I finally got around to reading this! Review to come.

luhsoona's review against another edition

I'm about 65% of the way through this book and I'm unsure about how quickly I'll pick up the sequel.

I like the emphasis on the female friendship, I liked the characters mostly, but I'm just overall very confused about the world itself. I was just kind of thrown in there with little explanation about anything, it's very vague and I don't understand what significance anything has on anything. I don't know if it's because I read during short chunks on my breaks at work but it just doesn't make any sense to me. I get the terms and some of the terminology, but again it's all very...vague.

This felt like a high fantasy written like a light fantasy imo, like it's all just shoved at you which bothers me.

I don't know if the ending will make me wanna read the sequel yet, we'll see!

I finished it and I might pick up the sequel soon. I wonder if it's where I read this book (mostly during my breaks between calls). I did kind of want to get to the end, but I don't know if it's because it's so fast paced or because I wanted it over. I don't know, I don't have super bad or good feelings about this. I'm going to read another book and see if it's the pace I'm reading it or if I just didn't LOVE this book.

cindeereads's review against another edition

I really loved this book so much in fact I am getting the sequel right after this. The characters were so very interesting I really like Safi and Merik and their slow-moving romance starting out not liking each other to a very interesting romance. I really loved the story it was so very well written I loved all aspects to the journey to the action and the little bit of action I really enjoyed how the POVs switched pretty often. So overall I enjoyed this book and will be reading more soon.

sashreads's review against another edition

I LOVE THIS WORLD!

thisgingerlovesbooks's review against another edition

Why did I wait so long to start this series? Oh wow, I don’t even know where to begin!

I have never read a book by Susan dennard before, so I truly did not know what to expect, I definitely didn’t expect to love truthwitch as much as I did!

My favourite thing about this book is the thread family angle. I love how safi and iz, although not biologically sisters but instead enemies to best friends have formed a bond so strong that they may as well be siblings, both would die to protect the other. I love the whole thing about family you choose and family you don’t that kullen and merik had going on, again they hated each other when they first met but over time formed a bond so incredibly strong that merik probably would have happily squished his own biological sister like a bug if it was a choice between her or kullen.

This book is seriously none stop action, with so many twists and turns that I’ll admit confused me at times but were so damn good! I didn’t see them coming! Which was quite a surprise for me, because usually I’m pretty good at spotting plot twists long before they come along. There were also some truly heartbreaking moments, I was so attached to the characters within this book and to be honest, that rarely happens to me with the first book of a series so colour me impressed! I adored this book, and I can not wait to move on to book two tomorrow! I need to know what happens already!

qwordyq's review against another edition

3.5 Rounded up. This took me a long time to understand. I read it as an audiobook and while this is such a vast and complicated world, it didn't really help me understand it. I especially am still very confused as to what exactly "cleaving" is and how it works. Anyone help me on that?

I did think the characters were all very interesting and complicated. I can't wait to see how they develop throughout the series. There was just so much going on in this that it became hard to follow, especially with POV switches. One moment I was reading as Safiya and the next it's Aeduan and I'm like...wait what happened??? So there were a lot of gaps in my comprehension for this because of how unclear it was about those transitions and the world is so big that I forget the names of the countries and who I'm supposed to be backing.

While this sounds super negative, the scenes between many of the characters drew me. The relationships built and frayed are really what support this story the most. I am excited for the sequel and the development of Merik and Aeduan's stories in particular. Getting major Zuko vibes from Aeduan so...

savsbookss's review against another edition

It was fantastic!!!! I loved the characters and the friendships and romances!!! I can't wait till the next book comes out!!!