Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 1, by Brian Michael Bendis, Michael Gaydos

mariavm's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

katgriff's review against another edition

It was already very likely that I was going to love this. but throw in a Captain America plot, and I am in.

mimipancakes's review against another edition

I finally decided to cave in and buy this because of how much I loved the Jessica Jones Netflix series. And while this story shared little with the show, it was still pretty interesting, and I'm looking forward to reading the next installment.

aliced's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this! I was a huge fan of the Netflix show and was worried this wouldn't measure up but I needn't have worried. The plot of this volume didn't match up with the show at all, so I was able to get to know this version of Jessica without comparing constantly to the show's version. The art is classic comic book and the colouring is really atmospheric. I also loved the appearances from Cap, Daredevil & Carol Danvers.

epilieaspiechick's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

hoffnungswolke's review against another edition

Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 1 !!! Thank god Prime Reading is a thing now and I could actually read this volume for free. YOU GO, AMAZON!!!

I loved this A LOT.
Since I watched the show Jessica Jones is like one of my favorite people, so I was really excited to read more stuff about her and I'm so glad that I finally got the chance.

I loved all the stories.
The artwork wasn't my thing from time to time, but that was totally okay. Cause I got more Jessica Jones in my life and that's all that I wanted and needed.

tangleroot_eli's review against another edition

Such an intriguing examination of Marvel's "strata" of superheroes--how the "big deal" heroes like Captain America and Captain Marvel view "street-level" heroes like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Jessica is such a compelling, relatable character here--someone who had a lot of potential and isn't living up to what other people thought she should do with it but is still trying to be the best person she knows how to be.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Michael Gaydos' art here. Hereally likes his shadows, to the point where literally everyone usually looks like they're wearing wrap-around sunglasses. And the Jessica-Carol lunch scene looks like someone Rotoscoped stock photos of "women eating outside." But there are nice touches, like watching Jessica's unchanging "listening face" while a new client pours their heart out to her.

A really solid choice for WTF Comics Club. I'm looking forward to our discussion.

dm404's review

dark funny medium-paced

pleaseinsertpun's review against another edition

Maybe it takes a little longer to really get going, maybe it's because I saw the show first, maybe I've just read too dang many Bendis books at the point, but I'm not really feeling this the way everyone else seems to.

noveladdiction's review against another edition

Another graphic novel I picked up because it was one of the three titles I hadn't read from a list of 25 recommended comics. Jessica Jones is a character I'm not really familiar with. Yeah, yeah, I'll get to her Netflix series soon - it's on my list. But before hearing about the series, I heard the character name tossed around a few times, but I didn't know who she was or what she did. What I do like are private investigators, and gritty stories - so this works for me. I'll gladly read more.