The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller

emilyromero's review

i have survivors guilt, rip together

sheena_'s review against another edition

emotional sad medium-paced

bookthief404's review

Finished in three days. When I wasn't reading I was thinking about it. It's gonna be a while before I feel okay about this. (If ever)

amankay's review against another edition

Okej wow denna boken asså jag älskade första halvan sen blev jag lite uttråkad i mitten men sen i slutet fyfan vad jag grät usch! Boken var väldigt bra, fint skriven men gud så sorglig men ändå vändigt fin

leeneedsfriends's review against another edition

good book but im not crying so i think im broken ://

nlong0432's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective sad medium-paced

emmybeth's review

It’s like a 6/5 tbh. I loved this book. It’s a favourite.

“We are all there, goddess and mortal and the boy who was both”

I took my time with this one, taking in everything, and I loved it. Madelines writing style is amazing and the story moved perfectly, every scene playing into the relationship between Patroclus and Achilles. This is a love story rather than a war story. Patroclus was an amazing character, I loved him, for many reasons. Achilles was lovable too and I thought the slow change of Achilles was so powerful and well done. From a boy who wanted to be a hero and grew into an arrogant man. Achilles change contrasting Patroclus, as he was a loner as a child but becomes popular and well-liked by the soldiers during the war, this leading him to make the choice to fight for these people. It’s interesting how this novel almost makes me feel like Patroclus was more a hero than Achilles.

“And perhaps it is the greater grief, after all, to be left on earth while another is gone”

Of course, it’s based on the Iliad and lots of Greek gods and goddesses are present. This honestly gave the book a nostalgic feel, which probably came from my childhood when I loved Percy Jackson. I also just love a romance story, especially tragic ones.

“I want to shatter the cold mask of stone that has slipped down over the boy I knew”

Another thing worth mentioning is Chiron. I thought he was a great character, and I loved him. Which is funny cause he really wasn’t in it that long, yet he left such an impact on me and, of course, the personality of Achilles and Patroclus. Throughout the novel we see them in multiple stages of their life, and this just adds to the tragic ending. We see them grow up and were able to know these characters as more than just ‘heroes’.

“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, and our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but eachother”

Anyway I love this book, do yourself a favour and read it.

em010110100's review

was hesitant to read as i know little of greek mythology, but this book has become one of my favourites. every page is beautifully written, and so terribly heartbreaking.

dibajida's review against another edition

Wonderful story telling. You feel like you're right there in the story. It is both heartfelt and heartbreaking.

estdivina's review