A Refuge at Highland Hall by Carrie Turansky

misspippireads's review against another edition

A Refuge at Highland Hall is available! This new novel is book three in Carrie Turansky's Edwardian Brides series. The Governess of Highland Hall is book one and shares the story of governess Julia Foster and Highland Hall master Sir William Ramsy. Book two, The Daughter of Highland Hall, shares the story of governess Julia's former charge Katherine (Kate) Ramsey and Julia's brother, Jonathan Foster. The characters of book three focuses on another former charge of Julia's, Penelope (Penny) Ramsey with a side story of Lydia Chambers, Penny and Kate's lady's maid.

I would recommend reading the previous books before diving into A Refuge at Highland Hall. The Ramsy family has expanded with marriages as well as with friends, family, and servants. If you've previously read the books, but it's been a while, Turansky kindly shares a cast of characters list at the beginning of the book! I'll admit it's been a while since I last read a Highland Hall book. I started reading book three and it took little time to get reacquainted with everyone.

World War I has begun. Dr. Jon and his family are living in London when bombs are dropped. To keep his family safe, he sends them to Highland Hall. Everyone packs up to go except Dr. Jon who needs to stay and care for the soldiers in town. Before everyone leaves, Dr. Jon brought home a soldier friend, Alexander Goodwin. Alex is determined to be a pilot (a dangerous job that has slim survival rates). Penny is drawn to Alex and offers to write while he is away.

Turansky wrote a very compelling story. She captured the fear, longing, and faith of a vast array of characters - soldiers, sweethearts, prisoners, children, adults, elderly, and young. I was quite impressed. She wove two main storylines together as well as kept the other members in the family active. The cast of characters is two pages, but don't let that deter you from reading A Refuge at Highland Hall. It's good to hear about all the members of this tight knit family. I would like to hear more about the Foster / Ramsey families. I hope Turansky continues writing!

Time Period: Edwardian/WWI, 1915
Location: London, England

Thank you, Blogging for Books for this review copy! I enjoyed it!
I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

jennbehindthebooks's review against another edition

This is, in my opinion, the best of the series! An inspiring story of trusting God and facing each new day with faith and confidence.

007medsci's review against another edition

Predictable, stilted, too "Hallmarky".

literarialuminaria's review against another edition

Great Ending

While the whole trilogy was a bit too focused on religion for my liking, I enjoyed all three books. I'm not sure if it's because of my love of (military) history or because I'm a veteran myself, but I liked this one the best. The author did a good job of continuing earlier/other characters' stories throughout as well.

Bookstagram | Lnk.bio

joyesiam's review against another edition

3.5⭐

meezcarrie's review against another edition

World War 1 Flying Aces and German Zeppelins zoom across the pages of A Refuge at Highland Hall, the challenges of war meticulously researched and creatively conveyed. The beginnings of new love spark for two couples in this story, tempered by the separation of war – be it by deployment or internment – but allowing the power of the written word to fan the heart’s spark into a steady and enduring flame is truly the stuff of great romance! My favorite of the Edwardian Brides series, A Refuge at Highland Hall is best appreciated if read in context (the characters!!) though it can also be read as a standalone. Speaking of characters, the Ramseys and the Fosters and those in their household (servants and friends) will carve out a spot in your heart, and though this farewell is bittersweet it is also sweetly satisfying. If you enjoyed Kate Breslin’s Not By Sight or Pepper Basham’s Penned In Time series – or if you’re still mourning the loss of Downton Abbey, you will find a refuge in Carrie Turansky’s Edwardian Brides series as well!

(I received a copy of this book in exchange for only my honest review.)

Read my full review at Reading Is My SuperPower

catvonb's review against another edition

relaxing

melissasbookshelf's review against another edition

Loved this conclusion to the Edwardian Brides series. I was sad to see it end but really enjoyed the conclusion. Would like to see the series continue!

nataliesboooks's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring slow-paced

emlickliter's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

A Refuge at Highland Hall (Edwardian Brides #3) by Carrie Turansky – If you like WWI romances, this one is sweet! Happy Reading!