A Gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles

fiza1115's review

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing sad medium-paced

sydnellison's review against another edition

Heartwarming, compelling, and beautiful. I would highly recommend this story if you need some encouragement or a wholesome read in your life right now.

literally_karissa's review against another edition

Beautifully written, perfect characters, beautiful descriptions. The Metropol Hotel will forever own a tiny piece of my soul.

eloisedoesread's review against another edition

This is one of the best books I have read in years - no kidding - and beautiful as well. Highly recommend if you want a good calming (isolation) story of a man who is exiled in communist Russia to a central Moscow hotel

mackenzie_reads's review against another edition

In 1922, at the age of 32, Count Alexander Rostov is sentenced to lifelong house arrest at the Metropol Hotel in Moscow. What follows is an account of the nuances of his life at the Metropol. He meets a cast of colorful characters and has many adventures, despite being banned from ever stepping foot outside the hotel.

This is a long, slow-paced book, and is more character driven than plot driven. Not my usual type of book, but I really enjoyed it. I listened on audiobook, and the narrator did an excellent job. It made me really appreciate the writing. It is full of humor, wit, and sentiment.

A couple of my favorite lines from the book:

“A man can never be entirely sure that he is not a fuddy-duddy; that is axiomatic to the term.”

“For once you have hoisted a scoundrel by the lapels, what are you to do with him? At least when you have a fellow by the scruff of the neck, you can carry him out the door and toss him down the stairs. But when you have him by the lapels, he isn’t so easy to dispense with.”

larawade's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

stuff4bd's review against another edition

I can see why people liked this book but for me it was the wrong book at the wrong time. The limitations in terms of people and paces made the pacing seem too slow

darthchrista's review against another edition

I took me so long to read because I didn't want to say good-bye.

juno_the_junebug's review against another edition

challenging funny inspiring reflective slow-paced

abcdestherh's review against another edition

a ping, a splat, a smash, a thunk, a thump, and a thud

what an unexpectedly wonderful read. i'm not sure how to describe the experience, other than that i rarely found myself wanting to go back to this book but not wanting to leave the pages when i was reading.
somehow lightweight in its language. sometimes funny, not the laugh out loud kind, but in the way that makes my eyes light up a little and have me grinning.

she walked across the lobby at the pace of one who hopes to leave herself no room for second thoughts

__

read for BookRiot's Read Harder Challenge 2020 Task 7: read a historical fiction novel not set in WWII