Fibbed, by Elizabeth Agyemang

libraryrobin's review

adventurous hopeful inspiring medium-paced

Believed to be lying, a girl is sent by her parent to spend the summer with her grandmother in Ghana. After some adjustments she meets Ananse the trickster spider and solves a mystery.
Ok story, kinda long.

graypeape's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful informative mysterious medium-paced

Nana tells truths that sound like lies to everyone else, and this gets her into a lot of trouble at school and at home. Her parents decide a change of scenery might be good for her, and send her to Ghana for the summer to visit her grandmother and extended family. While there, she gets caught up in a mystery involving the trickster Ananse and something causing local trees, including in the forbidden Sacred Forest, to die. With the help of her cousin and a new friend, she discovers an evil at the center of the Sacred Forest stealing the magic from the land. Will the kids be able to convince everyone that they're telling the truth about what's happening, or will they have to fight it themselves?
There's a lot going on here: a coming-of-age story, the pain of not believed when she's telling the truth, learning to believe in herself, wrapped up in learning about her culture and heritage. This last part is integrated into the story smoothly, without feeling info-dumpy. There's some nice character growth, and not just for Nana. I found the ending satisfying, as well as kinda funny. The story is followed by an author's note with the history of Ananse in Ghanaian culture, and about the three tales covered in the text. An engaging way to learn a bit about Ghana and its culture and folklore!

raethereviewer's review

adventurous funny hopeful

This has quickly become one of my favorite Ananse stories. I love how layered the lessons were. It was great seeing Nana have that experience of visiting Ghana on her own and learning about her culture. The friendship she built with her cousin and Akwesi was sweet. This is such a perfect read for kids!

bookishbrook's review

The book was good, but I just wasn't super engaged with the story. Maybe I'll pick it up again in the future.

sjbabyyyy's review

adventurous lighthearted fast-paced

emilymyhren's review

adventurous reflective

utopiastateofmind's review

(Disclaimer: I received this book from the author. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Fibbed is multi-layered. I began by immediately loving how when Nana gets to Ghana, she feels this dsiconnect. How she doesn't speak Twi and while she is aware of her heritage, there's this gap. Talk about relatable diaspora feels. At the same time, Fibbed features Nana who no one believes. My heart broke for her especially as she keeps being called a liar! Drawing on Ghanian lore, Fibbed then turns into an action story. See what I mean about it being multi-faceted?

morningstarlitpages's review

adventurous challenging informative mysterious reflective tense medium-paced