This Savage Song, by Victoria Schwab

crystal2004's review against another edition

allielueck's review against another edition

TW: gore

Overall: 4.5 stars
I have struggled to pick up another fantasy book for months, but this one grabbed my attention immediately. My attachment to this book is rooted in the characters, especially August and Isla. The concepts of V-City and the three breeds of monster blew my mind due to the sheer creativity. Schwab's writing is magical yet human, and I cannot wait to pick up Our Dark Duet, the sequel to This Savage Song.

Setting: 4 stars
I initially had a hard time understanding or visualizing V-City, but I do really like the general concept of feuding halves of a city. I loved how Kate and August met at Colton and pretended to be normal teens for a scarce few days. The Flynn Compound and the Harker Hall were two of my favorite locations.

Characters: 5 stars
August Flynn is so precious I want to protect him forever. Despite being a Sunai, he is so incredibly relatable, and I found myself smiling when he did. I also really grew to like Kate, and even though I disagreed with some decisions she made, I understood why she acted in that manner. Isla was probably my second favorite character after August because of her emotional depth and physical power. The friendship between August and Kate attempted to mend my broken heart as August struggled with his identity. Schwab developed each of the characters so seamlessly that it felt like getting to know new friends.

Plot: 4.5 stars
World-building is the hardest part of reading fantasy novels for me, but this one did not pose too much of a problem. Schwab's basis for the monsters, especially the Sunai, is so well thought out. Throughout the story, I had no idea what was coming next, which was almost like a breath of fresh air since I so often predict events. The various plot twists kept me reading way longer than I intended some days.

Writing: 5 stars
I have heard so many people rave about Schwab's writing, so I came in with relatively high expectations. She did not disappoint! The development of the plot and characters remained relatable despite the story focusing on monsters fighting over a city. Schwab's ability to depict human emotions is so impressive. I cannot wait to read more of her work.

arturoreads's review against another edition

This book has been a ride. I really liked it. The characters, the world, the plot, I love everything about this book.

I just wanted to give August a hug

sofham's review against another edition

3.5 stars

libri_e_tazze_di_the's review against another edition

Libro ancora più bello della serie di Magic. I personaggi li ho amati tantissimo, e la storia anche se forse meno intricata di Magic è davvero molto bella. Non vedo l'ora di leggere il seguito. Sicuramente la Schwab è una garanzia per i libri.

asthornton's review against another edition

Full review up on the blog:

the bandar blog

A Summary in Three
a broken society, things that go bump in the night, and a hint of Romeo & Juliette

I liked this book from the moment I opened it. I LOVE all things horror, so when you combine monsters with a super fun plot you deliver me a winner.

What I loved:

1. The monsters. The monsters, the monsters, the monsters. I loved everything about them. Tell me this song isn’t cool. Just tell me (that’s right, you can’t):
“Monsters, monsters, big and small,
They’re gonna come and eat you all.
Corsai, Corsai, tooth and claw,
Shadow and bone will eat you raw.
Malchai, Malchai, sharp and sly,
Smile and bite and drink you dry.
Sunai, Sunai, eyes like coal,
Sing you a song and steal your soul.
Monsters, monsters, big and small,
They’re gonna come and eat you all!”

2. The city. It’s North and South divided. These halves are completely different, they hate each other, and they’re both full of spooky monsters (both human monsters and monster monsters).

3. Good vs. evil! Every character in the book oscillates between good and evil. You can’t necessarily trust a “good” character not to be evil or an “evil” character not to become good. I see exactly how the theme of this OwlCrate came to be!

4. The ending. The story arc gets mostly resolved (which I appreciate). There isn’t a huge cliffhanger, but there is a hint of the next novel at the very end of the book… and it is SO COOL.

What I didn’t love:

1. That there wasn’t more of it. That it ended. That I have to wait WHO KNOWS HOW LONG for the sequel.

If you like horror at all, you should this. It’s fast, it’s fun, it’s HORRORlicious.

4.5/5 stars!

bimeariver's review against another edition

3.5 / 5: one of my favorite parts of this story is how there’s so many ways that the author could’ve gone with this sort of idea; with the one she picked, as semi-predictable certain parts near the end may have been, it was a good choice. it was an interesting choice. it was one that made me curious to see what’s going to happen in the second book and so that’s what sticks out to me.

ultimately, when you’re dealing with the paranormal in storytelling and you’re creating them from a place where humans themselves have brought them into being and thus fall under their hands,,,,you’re going to catch my interest. and this book did well with that, i believe.

hannahv31's review

adventurous dark emotional medium-paced

thehauntedlibrary's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional medium-paced

julie571's review

Très bon livre!!

Premier livre que j’arrive à apprécier malgré le point de vue à la 3eme personne. L’intrigue n’est pas TRÈS présente mais les personnes sont interessants à découvrir. Le monde est assez différent des autres livres de Fantasy avec sa hiérarchie de monstres.

Ce n’est pas un 5 étoiles parce que j’arrivais sans probleme à poser le livre et ne pas le rouvrir pendant quelques jours.