The Other Half of the Grave, by Jeaniene Frost

bookdragondreams's review

adventurous emotional funny mysterious medium-paced

specksofpurple's review

adventurous emotional funny tense fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

nononanette's review

A freebie from authors website. It was fun to read bones POV, and understand why he fell for a young, naïve, judgmental heroine.

krystabruce16's review against another edition

emotional mysterious medium-paced

rosamarie's review against another edition

adventurous funny medium-paced

I love Bones and Cat! It was so much fun reading the first book from his perspective.

Love to do it in a truck!

thinktink721's review

This book was AMAZING. It was the perfect blending of what Bones was going through and everything Cat didn’t pick up on when Jeanine originally told their story. If you are hesitant to read this, please do not be! It was simply perfection.

mrsnerdygirl's review against another edition

The original series is one of my favorites and when this was released I was more than excited to read Bones's perspective. I specifically was interested at the end when Bones and Cat are forced apart. I hope Jeanine is inspired to write what happened in the 4.5 years they were apart and continuing on with this point of view.

ashley_a_reads's review

dark emotional funny fast-paced

I love this series so much and was really excited to get Bones’ perspective, but there wasn’t a lot added to the story. The majority of the book and the dialogue was exactly the same. There also wasn’t much added exposition wise that was new or different. I still like the book, but it wasn’t a need to read to gain more perspective on Bones.

jassmine's review

What can I say... this was quite good and yet... there were places where I really wanted to feel it and I just didn't.
1. It was surprisingly nice to be in Bones' head. I guess it's because he has no conscience - we have no conscience either - opposite to seeing him from Cat's POV, he's brutal. Also, after reading about Vlad, Bones is a teddy bear.
2. In essence this is still insta-love, but seeing it unfold from Bones' perspective it was much more believable and natural. And is he a piner... (And yet, I didn't really feel it?)
3. Jeaniene fills a lot of blank spaces that were in [b:Halfway to the Grave|1421990|Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)|Jeaniene Frost|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1373855613l/1421990._SY75_.jpg|1412415][b:Halfway to the Grave|1421990|Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)|Jeaniene Frost|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1373855613l/1421990._SY75_.jpg|1412415] and explains some behaviours that might seem weird if you read the whole series and know how the whole world expanded. This is sometimes funny, when she stops on totally minor details, but a lot of times it feels completely natural and adds new scenes and facts to already known story.
4. It's hard to pull the "same book from other perspective" thing. And I would say that Jeaniene was mostly successful. I was getting a little bored toward the end, but... I feel like I was a little to blame for that too.
5. I really loved how we got the little Ian glimpses and how we get to see beforehand how damaged their relationship really is. Reading this bits after Ian's books was a little heartbreaking, I have to admit.
6. In the same line, I really liked to see Bones' thoughts on Justina. I was glad to see that I pegged him right. I think it shows that I have a soft spot for damaged relationships, because I just thought it was quite sweet. (Minus him considering killing her... right...)
7. The ending...
Spoiler I would really love to see some explanation why they called the police, because that one literary makes no sense. Though the absence of an explanation shows me that Jeaniene realizes that it's stupid too. It's clearly there as a plot device to get Cat on the government job and you know what, I forgive her even though, it's just... agh, why?

8. I almost forgot! I really loved that scene where Bones tells Cat, how he lost his virginity "in stages". I think it's really important to acknowledge that virginity is a cultural construct and our society obsession with penetrative sex is... misplaced. This story framed it quite well.
Overall, this was quite nice read for turning my brain off. It was nice to revisit the beginning of the story, though I have to admit that it wasn't completely satisfying for me.

morgandawn's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful mysterious medium-paced