The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula K. Le Guin

teddyjimin's review against another edition

adventurous slow-paced

lawinbehold's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

spacestationtrustfund's review against another edition

love has to be remade like bread (sometimes with punching, and you will get very strong arms from this) + the ends justify the means, but there's no "end," all we have is the means + the JELLYFISH!!!

matalinpirtz's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced

elizafiedler's review against another edition

Something about the instability of dreams and reality in this novel really speaks to me.

__apf__'s review against another edition

This book ranks among my all-time favorites. “The Lathe of Heaven” shows how small tweaks to reality can have large and unintended side effects on society, individuals, and Earth. Le Guin asks: what would happen if your dreams affected reality? What if you couldn’t control it? What if you COULD control it? The book steers you through a series of charming and nightmarish dystopias, tied together by three main characters who experience them all. Le Guin shows off both her world- and character-building skills.

I expect that this book would have broad appeal, including people who don’t typically like “science fiction.” It’s set on Earth, and the narrative is driven by dreams.

donotronix's review against another edition

people i trust have been telling me to read le guin for fifteen years and i didn't listen to them because i'm a fool. don't be like me, start reading le guin today.

astralumpia's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

starfondant's review against another edition

Wow. I loved this - reminded me of my favorite short stories from middle and high school.

donaidh_camshron's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced