Munich, by Robert Harris

gantev's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional inspiring reflective tense medium-paced

missyjo919's review against another edition

informative tense medium-paced

g_g's review against another edition

This didn’t captivate me like An Officer or Fatherland. So just 3 stars for me. Well written and easy enough to read, but just a bit middle of the road.

I did like the revisionist portrayal of Chamberlain however. True to my history module and the realities of the British position at the time.

sebren's review against another edition

informative mysterious fast-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

drifterontherun's review against another edition

This was a real snooze. How do you make a book about the run-up to WWII boring? Well, Harris has managed it by injecting "Munich" with so much unnecessary detail that getting through it feels about as difficult as trying to maintain peace in 1938 Europe.

All that to say, I made it about a quarter of the way through before giving up on this one. I'm fascinated by the subject matter and have read and enjoyed historical fiction before, but this felt awfully anticlimactic to me. It just didn't seem like Harris had anything to say on the subject that hasn't already been said.

Despite that, I will say that that first 25% of "Munich" did leave me feeling like history has perhaps given Chamberlain an undeservedly bad rap. I mean, in hindsight it's easy to say you can't attempt to negotiate with someone like Hitler, but should Chamberlain be judged harshly for trying to in 1938?

Sounds like the topic for a pretty great book!

nicoleisalwaysreading's review against another edition

I really enjoyed the brisk pace of this book and the way accurate historical details were interwoven with complex characterizations and descriptions.

jdelloso's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

fennlilley's review against another edition

A solid book but nothing to write home about, an easy 3 stars. The presentation of Chamberlain as something more than an incompetent optimist is refreshing but the plot can drag at points and I found myself feeling honestly indifferent to what happened to Legat. Hartmann was a more interesting character but I was more intrigued by him than emotionally attached. This book is good historical fiction, nothing more, nothing less.

lavaplanetleopard's review against another edition

Not an alternative history novel but it does take some liberty in filling in the gaps about the Munich conference and what transpired among the various actors. Really takes you back in time with all the sights and sounds of 1930s England and Germany.

agneshenriksson's review against another edition

dark informative mysterious medium-paced