Far From the Madding Crowd, by Thomas Hardy

book_lady's review

I enjoyed this book, but not as much as I hoped. I loved the story, but I found some of the characters to be a little irritating and sometimes the author droned on about nothing.

I would recommend this book, because overall it was good. But it just wasn't as good as I hoped.

jennast's review against another edition

dark reflective slow-paced

brisingr's review against another edition

first read: idk sometime in eight grade, ~2011-2012 but ofc no exact dates

second read: 1st of april 2022 - 2nd of may 2022
was this book much longer than it had to be? yes. did that make it really difficult to get into reading it, whenever i had to pick up the book? yes. was the writing style SO beautifully descriptive and so satisfying because of it? also yes, yes, yes. while i took an accidental hiatus from reading this in april, i am so satisfied to finally have finished it. i obviously couldn't remember much from my first time reading it, and this was one of the rare instances (?? maybe, or maybe tess d'urberville just traumatized me) where thomas hardy actually lets me feel some happiness. was everyone but angelically named gabriel an absolute bitch-ass though? yes. entertaining drama though

caitie578's review against another edition

This is my first time reading older British literature outside of a classroom setting and just like I thought I was very difficult. I did find that I enjoyed it when I read it aloud. This way I didn't get lost in the very thick and descriptive paragraphs.

Once I figured out the writing and the tone of the author I found it easier to read. I very much enjoyed this simple story. Thomas Hardy does a very nice job of making the characters real. Bathesba acts like a young woman who knows she is attractive and likes that men look at her. Francis Troy was easily seen as a slimey villain. I ultimately felt bad for Boldwood as he seemed to get the short end of the stick in regards to Bathesba. She always just kept him around as a "just in case" and when the cooler and younger guy was available basically went in that direction. While I am happy at the ending I still like Oak was the last choice. Yes she realized her feelings because he was going to leave, but what if he decided to stay? Would she keep leading him on?

This book was darker in some spots and it definitely made it interesting. I can't wait to read more classics!

fortunesdear's review against another edition

*4.5

josephinecatherine's review against another edition

emotional informative tense slow-paced

I am a Thomas Hardy fan. I adored Tess of the D'Urbevilles and expected my feelings towards Far from the Madding Crowd to be much the same. Unfortunately, as much as it was sweeping and beautiful and poignant and melancholy in all the right ways, the story dragged in a way where my love for the writing could not quite save it from dulling.

spacestationtrustfund's review against another edition

Kiss my foot, sir; my face is for mouths of consequence.

wrh121's review

Bloody brilliant!

katekettner's review

2.5 Stars

bob625's review against another edition

A gobsmackingly beautiful picture-postcard peek into the complexities of love and the idyllic scenery of southwest England, made as such by Hardy's heavenly detailed and profound prose.