Cirque Berserk by Jessica Guess

stokesl7's review

4/5 this was so good!

mindysbookjourney's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

purple676's review against another edition

A fresh take on a slasher

cherbear's review

**1/2

minimicropup's review

adventurous dark emotional sad tense fast-paced

Setting the Scene: ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ Shadow Creek, Florida, where a senior high school party bus trip turns into a nightmare in an abandoned amusement park.
POV: We weave between the perspectives of friends on a party bus in 2019 and killer teens with chilling backstories from the 1980s.

Mood Reading Match-Up:
-Nostalgic grown-up Fear Street 1980s energy
-Fast-paced supernatural teen slasher in abandoned amusement park
-Multi-timeline and perspectives of โ€˜predatorโ€™ and โ€˜preyโ€™
-Light mix of dark comedy, horror,  and twisty scares around themes of prejudice, history of minorities in horror, revenge, retribution, friendship, loyalty, and survival.

----
๐Ÿบ Growls, Howls, and Tail Wags ๐Ÿ•

๐Ÿ—ฃ๏ธ Tale-Telling: The third-person narrative was snappy and engaging. As the reader I felt like I was invisible on the sidelines getting relevant background of situations and what the character motivations were from the narrator โ€“ observant yet unobtrusive. The narration also handled the frequent POV and timeline switches well, so I didnโ€™t feel overwhelmed by the large cast and keeping them straight.

๐Ÿ‘ฅ Characters: The teen dialogue and behavior was well-balanced between realistic and reminiscent. Each character had a distinct voice too (also why I was able to keep track of the characters and timelines).

๐Ÿ—บ๏ธ Ambiance: The descriptions were succinct yet evocative, capturing the essence of both the 1980s/1990s and the modern day. The amusement park setting was rich in sensory details, which enhanced the eerie atmosphere.

๐Ÿ”ฅ Fuel: This was a straightforward slasher story, but it cleverly played on our allegiances โ€“ some may root for one over the other, and I found myself flipping between rooting for the killers or the victims.

๐ŸŽฌ Scenes: The pacing was rapid, focusing on the high-stakes action and dialogue-driven scenes. The descriptions of violence and gore were concise but impactful, and managed to set the scene without lingering too long on the gore or chase/cat-and-mouse scenes. The story didnโ€™t shy away from incorporating elements of tragedy and heartache, adding depth to the horror. While some may appreciate this complexity, I found it almost too tragic.

----

Content Heads-Up: Murder (descriptive; on page). Blood, gore. Domestic violence (relationship, family). Gun violence. Occult/Satanic.
Rep: Diverse skin colours. White, Black, and Indigenous Americans.

๐Ÿ‘€ Format: Kindle Unlimited

โ€œReviews are my musings ๐Ÿ’– powered by puppy snuggles ๐Ÿถ refined by my AI bookworm bestie โœจโ€

amanda0521's review against another edition

*3.5

readwitray's review against another edition

Great slasher books. I love the 80s feel and the time that we flash back to. This book kept giving twist and turns. Right when you thought someone was safe, you were wrong. Iโ€™m definitely going to be checking out the rest of the Rewind or Die Series

laurathebookhermit's review

dark tense fast-paced

I really enjoyed this short horror story. It kept me in a state of both wanting the main characters to succeed while also hoping they fail too. I was also intrigued to see the outcome if they failed. I was surprised by the amount of character development in such a short but dynamic book.

kaseyxx's review against another edition

This book really gives the vibes of a classic 1980/1990s slasher film!

Read in one setting!

vinicarus's review against another edition

the vibes were immaculate in this and im so glad it followed the characters i wanted to see! all of their dynamics were great and i kinda would just want to read more stories about them. over all a good read!