Soul Music, by Terry Pratchett

alaanti's review against another edition

Unfortunately a bit too much like a remixed mash-up of Moving Pictures and Reaper Man, but doesn’t reach the heights of either.

boredacademic's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

ashleymp92's review

It's nice returning to this series, but this one wasn't my favourite. Frankly, Death was the only thing that saved the novel. I care very little for Susan and the whole Rock & Roll theme.

indigo_han's review against another edition

Music with rocks in!

sazzyrainbow's review against another edition

It was ok but I didn’t love it as much as I’ve loved others.

charmaineclancy's review

Just loved it. A lot of my favorite characters turned up for this one.

mastercabs's review against another edition

Same as all of my other reviews of Prachett books: funny, laughing loudly on the bus funny, but with a weird but at the end that is difficult to visualize.

atalanjackals's review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced

language's review against another edition

This was a wonderful Discworld entry! As a musician I might be somewhat biased, but I greatly enjoyed all of the music/rock and roll culture references. I loved the character addition of Susan, her personality and sassiness are fantastic and a great foil for Death. The Death of Rats more active role was great. C.M.O.T. Dibbler was great as always. Lots to love here. I'm really glad this book didn't have some crazy weird side tangent plot for seemingly no reason like Reaper Man did.

dark_reader's review against another edition

I vaguely recall reading this as a young adult and hating it. I don't remember why.

This time, I still hated it—for the first third of the book. After that, the rough edges in the plot progress smoothed out. It was not enough to fully rescue the book but sufficient to prove how much Pratchett's scene-building craft improved in the preceding ten years, and prevented it from being a complete disaster like [b:Sourcery|34499|Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)|Terry Pratchett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1439607843l/34499._SY75_.jpg|62360].

Even at its best, the book suffered from multiple flaws. Characters were inadequately developed, and this severely diminished the emotional weight of late scenes. Two storylines were forcibly mashed together: Music With Rocks In, and Death's Granddaughter; there was no compelling reason for these to coincide. Pratchett had already done the schtick about Death getting a bee in his bonnet and drifting away to experience human foibles, twice. The birth of rock music on the Discworld was a jumble of 50s, 60s and 70s music scenes. Only Pratchett's trademark humor and previously-established characters saved the day. There was a concerted effort to pull off an emotionally satisfying and thought-provoking ending, with scenes that could have worked beautifully with better front-end material.

For this and other less-than-stellar Discworld entries, I would like to say that they are skippable. I don't yield myself that option in my current series re-read, and would not recommend it for any completionist because story elements appear again later. This book closely follows events from [b:Mort|386372|Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)|Terry Pratchett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1388181166l/386372._SY75_.jpg|1857065]. I would like for [b:Reaper Man|34517|Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)|Terry Pratchett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1389211958l/34517._SY75_.jpg|1796454] to be skippable, but it introduces the Death of Rats. This book's protagonist, Susan, will appear again in [b:Hogfather|34532|Hogfather (Discworld, #20; Death, #4)|Terry Pratchett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1416342611l/34532._SY75_.jpg|583655]. You have to take the good with the less good to get the full Discworld experience.

I do love this picture of a younger Pratchett from the book club hardcover edition:

But the Josh Kirby cover art on the paperback will always win: