The Throwback List, by Lily Anderson

jiclaudio's review

fast-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

malenhar's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

I should have loved this book, I am dead on the target audience for this. Same age, similar townie background, and in my ways I share some strong characteristics with Jo. However, this book fell flat in many ways. Let's pull a Jo and pro/con this:

Pros:
-Realistic depiction of life in your mid 20s. Figuring out a career, where to live, who to love, etc.
-The actual Throwback List was very fun and my favorite parts of the book were when the group would have to get together as a whole to complete one.
-Funny! Lots of jokes and humor that I enjoyed.

Cons:
-Massively underdeveloped characters. Jo and Bianca had the best development but it still wasn't great. Poor Autumn had nothing going for her. I couldn't connect with her as well because she wasn't a fully developed character. (I feel similarly about Flo and Birdy although they were side characters)
-Jo's relationship with her parents was very underdeveloped too and the payoff for it was lame and not satisfactory. She was so horrible to her family and for what!
-Jo's sexuality should have been touched on a bit more. Without spoiling anything, I was SOOOOO thrown off with one of the choices she made in the last couple of chapters.
-Unsatisfying ending. It was very relastic but unless the author is planning a follow up book, kind of a let down.

ramalfitano's review

This book was a bore and I did not like any of the characters. So many of the secondary characters are straight up disrespectful and that’s hardly addressed, it’s just assumed the leads will continue to live their unsatisfying lives. This book didn’t give me a warm friendship feeling (the one fun scene, the sleepover, was of course interrupted in chaos) and overall didn’t leave me feeling positive about any of the women’s trajectories.

cocoawithbooks's review

I received a gifted arc of The Throwback List by Lily Anderson in exchange for an honest review as part of a book tour hosted by Rockstar Book Tours.

Going Home Again
Estranged friends, jealous former classmates, and a bucket list that unites them. (Lol! I like that for a movie teaser don’t you?)

The Throwback List by Lily Anderson is a contemporary novel about three young women in their twenties who working out who they are and what their next step in life will be. The catalyst for The Throwback List adventures is Jo Freeman, who returns home to Sandy Point, Oregon after being laid off from her social media manager position in California. She enlists her former best friend, Autumn and her former enemy/high school competition Bianca along with Bianca’s husband and Autumn’s brother to help her complete her old throwback list while she is in town.

Friendships And Changes
This book touches on how old friendships from one stage of your life either evolve, end or become stagnate. I’m sure many can relate to the transition from high school to college being one of finding new friends, embracing parts of your identity that you had previously shunned and moving onto new interests. And also knowing that the gap left between high school friendships and present-day adulting can be a challenge to repair at times.

Making Lemonade With Lemons
One thing all of the main characters have in common is that they had plans for their life to go in one direction, but in of course goes in another. I think right now especially, we can all relate to that. I like how the characters work through their disappointments. The Throwback List brings them together and centers joy in their lives as they work towards who they want to be as adults.

Fave Moments
I can’t spill on that because it would be a spoiler! But my fave moment is towards the end of the book and it involves two people. The rest is for you to investigate on your own. I will say that I like the banter between the friends, especially between Jo and anyone else.

Check out the full review and a book giveaway on my blog, www.cocoawithbooks.com.

ashleyreads713's review

Did you have a time capsule growing up?! I definitely did and opened it recently. Wanted to be a teacher growing up and still am now.

jbdunn's review

I want to give this 4.5 stars. This appeals to me where I am now, with nostalgia for the town you grew up in and were so anxious about getting out of but wanting to be back with the people that still live there. This was fun and the relationships seem so authentic.

booksdanilikes's review

adventurous funny reflective

brittbrittcarter's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

thebrokebookblog's review

the characterization of Autumn, Jo and Bianca are really cool, but honestly what is this plot? I can not tell you how it ends, and I just finished it an hour ago

sarahshankle's review