Between the Lines, by Tammara Webber

ninalem's review against another edition

Well, this book wasn't bad but it also wasn't great! I enjoyed reading it and I was also done with it quite quickly, so I definitely didn't have to force myself to finish it which is already a very good thing. I liked the writing style of the author and there were only some minor things that bothered me just like the occasional use of abbreviations in direct speech .... the plot itself was nothing new though. I felt like I've already read a million books like that before. Celebrities, Hollywood, relationships between co stars and the main character that is fairly new to the scene and oblivious to how "romantic stuff" is supposedly working in that world. We also had the love triangle featuring the girl, the jerk and the good guy. The only characters that I really, really liked were the best friend, Emily and hector the cat.

All in all that may now sound like most of the book just annoyed me but I have to say that I still enjoyed reading it and also wanted to know how the book would end once i had gotten into it. That's why I'm giving it 3 out of 5 stars!

mjessamir's review

I have always wanted to read this but somehow gets sidetracked almost every time. I'm glad I finally got my hands over this because I loved it. I'm not in love with it, but I love it.

This book got me hooked from the auditions right to the very last page. I've been rooting from one guy to another, and I'm glad of who she finally ends up with (for now, that is) in the end. I loved the characters though there were a couple of times I just wanna punch Reid in the face and scream my lungs out at Emma. I mean, come on dude, can't you just keep your pants on even for just one night? And can't you just freaking ask him what's been bothering you since you talk to him every day? I swear to God sometimes, they frustrate me. *sigh*

I love the pacing of the story. Not a dull moment which is GREAT! I loved Emma and Graham together. I love their jogs, their banters, their easy conversations, mostly everything they do together. However, I also like Emma and Reid. I can say that he's DEFINITELY different with her. He's so much better with Emma but he can be a big jerk from time to time. *rolls eyes* But I know that he's not as shallow as he lets on. He's actually a very loving and caring person based on how he is with his mother. But then again, maybe it's just my bad-boy-loving self speaking. Emma on the other hand can be a little frustrating with so much doubts and questions on her head regarding about her heart. I don't know about her, but I can sense a mile away that this girl is so in love with Graham. And Graham, my Graham (can I have him?). I am not usually into good boys but man am I whipped with this gorgeous being. I love the fact that he's someone interested enough to stop his physical desires in favor of sitting (or in their case jogging) for a talk to get to know you better.

I had fun reading it and I am looking forward to reading the second installment where I hope I get to see more sides of Reid. Or for Emma to see the other side of Reid, I mean. No offense to Graham ;)

simplyreading's review

3.5 stars

kimmypete1's review

Definitely a different feel from Easy, but still good. One thing I really like about Webber is how good she writes her characters. Even the ones you are supposed to hate are well written.

It's told through alternating viewpoints between Emma (whom I loved) and Reid (whom I loathed with a burning passion, but it's ok because he was obviously intentionally written as a total douchebag).

There's a bit of a love triangle going on between Reid, Emma and Graham (loved him so much).

There are some issues dealt with in the book, but mostly their biggest issue is that they are all young, at least mildly famous and have more money than they know what to do with.

Full review to come later, for now I'm going to curl up with the second book. So glad I don't have to wait to finish the series!

mollyringle's review

If you harbor a guilty pleasure for reading about the private lives of your favorite actors--and don't we all, sometimes?--you'll be able to appreciate the appeal of this novel. 17-year-old actor Emma, a mostly-unknown, lands the lead role in a teen chick flick opposite the hottest teen male actor going, Reid Alexander. What girl wouldn't lose her head a little when said hottie actually takes a off-screen romantic (or at least sexual) interest in her?

Webber doesn't sugar-coat the Hollywood life, that's for sure. This book confirmed what I already guessed: namely, I'd advise most teens to run as fast as they can *away* from a life of movie-based fame. These kids drink, swear, try drugs, and have sex (some way more than others on all counts, but still, everyone takes a taste of those behaviors), and have to suffer the ridiculous speculations of tabloids on top of it all. The thing that really shows Webber's writing skills is that I *liked* all of them. Even Reid, who I often wanted to shake violently for being such a thoughtless slut, had his charms and his moments of depth. (It was an interesting choice for Webber to use him as one of the two POV characters--but now that I'm done, I see why she couldn't use Graham, and in any case it did help me not hate Reid, which I might've done if I hadn't seen life through his eyes.)

Poor Emma is *mostly* an innocent, and gets blindsided by the nasty side of fame at the same time that she's getting dazzled by the perks of it. I found her thoroughly lovable, and even understood when she got tempted onto unwise paths with Reid.

But naturally it's Graham (in which role I would cast Joseph Gordon-Leavitt) who we all really swoon for, and are impatiently waiting for Emma to get together with. I won't give spoilers on that, except to say that there's a really unexpected and bittersweet twist at the end, despite which I was left with a warm glowy feeling about the future of the characters. So glad there are sequels to look forward to!

lazydream's review against another edition

Its more of 3.5 stars. This book has everything which was lacking in other books which are similar to this (beautiful disaster and etc). Teenagers, famous guys and not so famous simple girl who is virgin and this time it does not make me GAG. One asshole, one nice guy and one girl. Same triangle BUT little sensibly written. The girl is more sensible she din't fall for the asshole this time (which is like an amazing relief) She is attracted to both and she is confused and does not act stupid at all. In the whole book the asshole is picture perfect asshole. Nice Guy is hmmmmm verrry nice with his own ghosts and girl is SMART. And mind it every one has problems. Lot of cute making out scenes. No sex. Its like a serious romance not a comedy and cute in teenagy way. Am not a teenager, far from it but i enjoyed it.

catwithbooks's review against another edition

Emma, 17 Jahre und Schauspielerin, wünscht sich manchmal ein ganz normales Leben. Dabei müsste sie doch total Glücklich sein, das sie mir ihrer neuesten Rolle den großen Durchbruch geschafft hat da sie an der Seite von Reid Alexander spielen wird, der Mädchenschwarm schlecht hin. Wäre da nicht ein Gewisser Co-Star, der ihr mit seiner ruhigen und verstänisvollen Art viel Sicherheit bietet.
Zwei Jungs, ein Mädchen und jede Menge verwirrende Gefühle.

Eine Geschichte über die junge Liebe und welche Schwierigkeiten sie mit sich bringt wenn man im Show Geschäft arbeitet.
Emma, die mehr behütet aufgewachsen ist, hat nicht so viel Umgang in ihren Leben mit Jungs oder anderen in ihren alter gehabt. Daher weiss sie auch nicht wie sie mit ihren Gefühlen umgehen soll und welche Entscheidung die richtige ist.
Reid tut und lässt das was er eigentlich will und auch mit wen er will. Er kommt in der Story nicht wirklich gut weg und ist mir meist mit seinem Hormon gesteuerten Verhalten meist unsympathisch. Klar er ist 18 Jahre aber von Gefühlen scheint er Null Ahnung zu haben, da er diese so gut wie gar nicht zulässt.
Graham mochte ich von Anfang auch wenn man ihn schlecht durchschaut hat, dafür gibt es aber zum Schluss eine passende und gute Erklärung.
An sich hat mir die Idee der Geschichte gefallen auch wenn nicht viele Emotionen rüber kamen und sie auch ein wenig Oberflächig war.
Bin aber gespannt wie es in Band 2 weiter geht.

n1kk1's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

grainnebowe's review

lighthearted medium-paced

trisbooks's review against another edition

I was reluctant to read this because the storyline seemed so over-used but once I picked it up, I could not put it down. Tammara Webber, you write some damn good romance novels.