The Death of Jane Lawrence, by Caitlin Starling

loreofthebooks's review against another edition

I’m always picking up books on a whim. This happened to fall into my arms at Barnes & Noble when I was picking up A Shadow in the Ember. I’d seen the cover on BookPage and I loved it. It looked so cool. I didn’t even read the summary. Sometimes picking up books on a whim works out – and I feel that in this case this was a good whim. The Death of Jane Lawrence was a book that was equally suspenseful and spooky. There were aspects of the book that I wasn’t expecting to enjoy. I can definitely see the influences of Crimson Peak and The Haunting of Hill House in this book.

I feel that Crimson Peak is a good comparison. Spooky things happen, and the atmosphere that is created in the book is so well done. It sent shivers down my spine more than once while I was reading this book. I had to put it down a time or two just to think, because this book was a bit more convoluted than it seemed at first glance. But the way the atmosphere was written was just perfect. It made the book feel a lot more eerie.

The writing in this book was excellent. It wasn’t “pretentious” but it worked for the book. It was a quick and easy read that had me engrossed all the way through. Not only that the pacing worked really well. As you read along and more and more is revealed you’re not sure what to think. This is where the suspense in the book comes in. You’re left hanging because what is the truth?
I loved the aspect of “magic” in this book and how it was incorporated. I felt it was grounded enough that it made sense in the context of the book. And the ending that included the “magic”…well that was unexpected!

Jane and Augustine were interesting characters. And you don’t know who to trust, because both seem to be hiding secrets and both seem to be honest at the same time. This is drawn out throughout the entirety of the book.

I had to go back and reread parts, because there is major foreshadowing throughout the book, and I missed it the first time. Everything is connected, essentially. The ending gets a little confusing and chaotic, but it adds to the story and where the characters are currently in their life.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was a “gothic”, spooky and suspenseful read. Perfect for October!

rainbowsandstarlight's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

treetree's review against another edition

Don’t read gothic horror books or horror in general, but this was super interesting & atmospheric, pretty spooky as well.

marissamally's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious medium-paced

mariannak98's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

ychichi's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious slow-paced

butterfliesonmybookshelf's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense slow-paced

laurizzie's review against another edition

The first half of this was absolutely perfect, brisk and intriguing and setting up all the creepy elements with just enough unease and some seriously gory medical scenes. I found the second half a bit slower and it got bogged down a bit in some repetitive moments, but overall, this was a cool, spooky, thought-provoking read.

daninoff's review against another edition

This story is weird, and creepy, and messed up, and beautiful, and unique. Safe to say I loved every minute of it. I had no idea what to expect going into this story beyond that it appeared to be a ghost story. This was so much more than a ghost story. It's a love story, it's a redemption story, it's a medical story, and there just might be some ghosts.

susanfred's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced