Reviews tagging Death

The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. Le Guin

cynicalraven's review against another edition

challenging

idha's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional inspiring reflective slow-paced

shonarpakhi's review

perhaps it is because i chose to read the left hand of darkness at the wrong time, or perhaps because i did not do it the courtesy of reading with generous time -- i sped through this book in three sittings, over three days -- i did not find it as groundbreaking as i was led to expect. partly there is the fact that i am reviewing it in 2022, whereas it was published for the 70s when it would have been much more subversive. there's no denying the mastery of le guin's writing, which i respect immensely -- it's clean, smooth, perfectly balanced and perfectly judicious in its use of various literary modes and devices, its distinguishment of character voices, the hybridity of its form -- and yet i found myself a little impatient with the rhythm of its expression. something about it didn't resonate with how i like to be led through sentences and paragraphs when i read. it might be a function of the language of the time, a feature of le guin's own style, which despite its beauty and precision refuses to be pinned down and laid flat. larger than life, it demands attention and dedication. so again, it might be a flaw with how i went about reading in the first place.

i also had some trouble with understanding the novel's use of incest as a narrative device. it wasn't so much the content that troubled me as to its purpose. i've done a little extra skimming on the theme but it's yet to sate my curiosity. perhaps the reveal of sorve as estraven's child of the flesh is supposed to allude to their (estraven's) femininity, an aspect of estraven which genly has largely suppressed his awareness of in order to build the bridge of their friendship, and yet one which he must reconcile himself with in order to reckon with the gethenians in their full non-binary humanity. perhaps incest is an allegory for the political narrative of a contact and communion between two different worlds/cultures -- as the figure of genly comes to merge and then rewrite that arek, so a lasting bond of love can only be founded on true difference (cf. le guin's introduction), and not on sameness? or perhaps incest does not serve any symbolic purpose at all but, as le guin has noted in an interview, acts as a universal taboo, a suitable device to establish estraven's criminality -- a crime so generally stigmatised that readers (presumably?) are assumed to sympathise with estraven's punishment, and it is estraven's character that is complicated and elevated, some may say redeemed, by his loyalty to the gethenians as peoples despite living a life terminally in exile.

in any case i am sure i will benefit from rereading this when i am more at leisure. this is an excellent book to read as a writer, i.e. to read with special attention to literary craft, form and function, the polishing of narration. it's a book that i think would be better enjoyed in relaxation, non-linearity -- meandering, ambling back and forth -- and with the aid of a pencil.

morganlehay's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

A philosophical, poetic, and anthropological story of two people gaining a profound bond despite being aliens to one another. The story is most noted for its play with gender, and while I did love how that was showcased in the worldbuilding and interacted with our main narrator's own bias', I honestly think its a shame that is all its known for because to me it was about so much more. There are many ruminations and descriptions in this book that will stick with me, and it was such a treat to be carried along on a journey through this world. However, this is not a lighthearted story. It is as bleak at the planet's weather, but I really resonated with the fact that all of its most terrible truths were tangled up with its beauty. I don't recommend this to someone who has a hard time keeping track of terms, as a lot of alien names and concepts are thrown at you, which I felt was immersing but could also see how it might turn people away.

giuliabtw's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced

aquamarine18's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

A classic, and one of few books I'll re-read. The Left Hand of Darkness is brilliant, and it brings me joy every time. What this book does so well, I think, is ask questions: what happens when something fundamental that we've mostly taken for granted our entire lives is all of a sudden exposed as being totally contingent, as something that could be otherwise? How can one reorient oneself? It is also, at its heart, a book about connection across difference, the erosion of preconceptions, learning to see the world differently and, in the process, emerging changed. As always, Le Guin's writing is beautiful, every line deliberate.
Le Guin, in her wonderful introduction, points out that the book is a thought experiment, not a blueprint; as such, it does not leave the reader with easy answers or a straightforward idea of how things should be. Rather, it is much more demanding than that.

troisha's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

maria_s's review

mysterious slow-paced

junothan's review

challenging inspiring reflective medium-paced

zalesbian's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional reflective tense medium-paced

A very slow start. But once I got to page 120, or so, I couldn't put it down. It was captivating and very tense.
As a gender queer individual myself, I found the first part of the book to be dull I felt like the hero was projecting his gender too strongly on these people. But that was very much the point, and Ursula K Le Guin did an excellent job of altering his, and ours, perception as the story progressed.

Ultimately, it was a love story. It was Broke Back Mountain set on an alien planet and I loved it.