Reviews tagging Violence

The Left Hand of Darkness, by Ursula K. Le Guin

troisha's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

miriamana's review

challenging emotional hopeful reflective sad tense slow-paced

readerette's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective slow-paced

I'm glad I read the afterword in this book, as it called to my attention the benefit of some of the things I disliked, such as the main human character using "he" as a neutral pronoun and seemingly finding every opportunity to disrespect "feminine" characteristics in a gender-neutral world. Turns out that Le Guin later regretted using "he" as gender-neutral, and that on inspection, the main character is not as progressive as he likes to think he is, with his gender bias proving that out.

What I enjoyed regardless was the poetic definition of this new world so different from ours and so much the same. I also liked the relationship between Genly and Therem, which was appropriately complex and believable. Some parts were too slow or detailed for my taste so I did some skimming, but it was still wonderful world-building and sociological exploration.

valereads's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

The Left Hand of Darkness was a beautifully written character-driven novel filled with amazing prose and a fantastically realised world more reminiscent of a high quality fantasy novel that your typical sci-fi.

I loved the world this story was set it, it was original and felt truly real. I especially loved some of the short stories in between the main story chapters which told some stories from the world in which it was set and gave the whole thing more depth.

I shall definitely be rereading this book soon and I highly recommend it even (especially?) if science fiction isn’t typically your genre.

Content warnings: exorsexism, sexism, anti-intersex slur, abuse (specifically abuse of prisoners), incest