Knots: Stories by Gunnhild Øyehaug

ccilie's review against another edition

Jeg elskede den ikke, øv. Én af novellerne, “To og to”, stak positivt ud for mig. Jeg følte at den ramte noget af det, de andre forsøgte på, men mislykkedes med. En speciel humor, konstant med stik af metalag og aldrig helt klar til at tage sig selv alvorligt nok. Halvvejs igennem var jeg klar til at give den tre stjerner, men sidste halvdel kedede mig så meget, at det trækker en stjerne fra.

pickle_burner's review

challenging funny medium-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

This is an uneven collection. There are many moments of brilliance, even in translation, where you feel as though the author has captured something essential and new. The first story, "Nice and Mild," and the fantastical tale, "Small Knot," were exciting and well executed. But there was also quite a bit of "fucking around" in this collection -- short pieces that were almost entirely conceptual in nature, somewhat like written performance art, pieces that could be called "clever," but which lacked (for me at least) any emotional heft. Fortunately, many of the stories in this collection are but a few brief pages, so if you don't like something, it goes by quickly, and before you know it, you're onto the next thing. Many of the stories are connected, have recurring characters who are looking at similar happenings from slightly different perspectives, and while that is mostly handled with delight and care, it doesn't always land and isn't quite enough to lift up the entire collection. I know fuck-all about Norwegian, so I have no idea how close Kari Dickson's translation was, but the prose had good rhythm and was solid. Major kudos to Dickson for providing something with character, verve, and momentum. I happened to pick this up randomly at my library, and I'm glad I did. This will be well suited to those with a taste for the experimental and contemporary.

undermeyou's review against another edition

A lot of these were 5 star pieces. Quite a few were just a bit too unremarkable for me.

emelynreads's review

mysterious slow-paced

I liked 4 stories out of the collection hence the low rating. I'm not sure I understand this author's writing style.

bushrasbookbabbles's review

Weird and boring

wabisabigio's review

challenging dark mysterious medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

megansoetaert's review

fast-paced

i don’t normally love short story collections, but i enjoyed this one! it was very fast paced- many of the stories were only a few pages long.

favorite stories: it’s raining in love, grandma is sleeping, vitalie meets an officer

themes: mundanity, love, human connection, desire, anxiety

lifeinpoetry's review against another edition

Not for me. I'd seen this collection on several lists, was curious and found (yet again) that much like most prose poetry, flash fiction doesn't hold my interest.

raonaid's review

challenging emotional reflective medium-paced

elianne2's review against another edition

Korte verhalen. In eerste instantie denk je dat ze standaard Noors zijn: er is een berg, een fjord, eh ook een Ikea… maar dan kom je erachter dat je in het absurdistische genre zit.