Fresh Ink by Lamar Giles

revveryerin's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced

sweetbabyray1's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

emldavis001's review against another edition

I honestly didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. I was actually really hoping to love it, but that is not the case. Overall, I only really liked about 3 of the stories, the play, and the graphic novel. The others just didn't spark my interest. Even though this book isn't a favorite of mine I'm still going to keep it around so I can reread it in the future and hopefully like it more then than I do right now.

dontstopreadin's review against another edition

It’s late, so I’ll need to check my math later, but I think my average rating per story is 3.8. Let’s round up for fun.

Eraser Tattoo by Jason Reynolds
Made me cringe, self harm trigger, anti-climactic but cute rom 3 stars

Meet Cute by Melinda Lo
5 stars diverse and cleaver and adorable and dripping in fan culture cuteness

Don’t Pass Me By by Eric Gansworth
Nice rep, I think? kinda boring, meandering, slow moving plot. Good message about race, but not sure the point of anything else happening here. 3 stars

Be Cool for Once by Aminah Mae Safi
3.5 stars suspend disbelief but liked the ending made me lol & enjoyed the convo w/ love interests. Mention of f/f romance.

Tags by Walter Dean Myers
5 stars play script nice format, interesting revealing pace, touching/twisty ending.

Why I Learned to Cook By Sara Farizan
F/f romance, middle eastern heritage (Iran American protog)Persian. Good old people. Acceptance. Made me swell with joy. 5 stars.

A Stranger at the Bochinche by Daniel José Older
Wtf 1 Star confused 🤷🏽‍♀️

A Boy’s Duty by Sharon G. Flake
Was really into but I don’t get the motivation or ending? 2.5 stars

One Voice A Something in Between Story by Melissa de la Cruz
Immigration. College. Racism. Explaining POC POV to someone who doesn’t get it 5 Stars

Paladin/Samurai by Gene Luen Yang, Illustrations by Thien Pham
3.5 stars

Catch, Pull, Drive by Schuyler Bailar
Trans. Feel for character. Tw for dead name. Athlete. Empowering. Moving. 5 stars

Super Human by Nicola Yoon
Shook. 5 stars

moomoomeadowss's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted fast-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

cute stories but definitely felt like they were spoon feeding you the message at points. maybe I’m just older than the target audience—might be good for middle grade/early high school. nicola yoon delivered as always tho

eponineeurydice's review against another edition

3.5 stars. Overall a very stunning anthology, with a wide range of diverse voices telling personal tales that ranged from contemporary (most of them) to sci-fi and fantasy. This broadened my horizons and let me explore new voices and diverse identities. While some stories were better than others, I enjoyed most of them, with a few stand-outs that I absolutely loved. I recommend for those looking for a short story collection full of beautiful representation.

nickscoby's review against another edition

These stories stood out to me: Eraser Tattoo; Meet Cute; Why I Learned To Cook; Catch, Pull, Drive; and Super Human--which is probably my favorite

rainbowbookworm's review against another edition

This is a refreshing collection of stories. It not only covers various ethnicities, but a variety of genres as well. My only complaint is that it was too brief and I devoured it in one sitting.

barnesbookshelf's review against another edition

I loved this!! This short story collection should be on every reader's bookshelf! I loved the inclusion of different types of story medium, like the comic and the short play. Each author brings such a unique voice to their stories. I highly recommend this book to any reader!

roseleaf24's review against another edition

A collection of short stories from #weneeddiversebooks. This was a great collection, diverse not just in representation, but also in genre and style.