The Golden Tower, by Holly Black, Cassandra Clare

nikolama's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted fast-paced

oliviamandola's review against another edition

i found this conclusion to be pretty underwhelming. i really enjoyed each of the books in this series, and found them to be very lighthearted. however, this one didn’t do anything for me. it felt like a lot was rushed to end the story, and while some concepts were interesting when introduced, i found that i ultimately didn’t care where the story was going or how it ended. however, i’m glad i was finally able to finish this series!

chloe_cr's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny fast-paced

emamoretti03's review against another edition

adventurous funny tense medium-paced

freddie_and_the_reading's review

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

boyvinyls's review against another edition

i love this series So much and this was such an incredible ending to it. the way everything tied itself together was so perfect but there was still so many plot twists and times that i had no idea what was going to happen next it was such a good ending to such a good series.

laurasaur112's review against another edition

Such a satisfying conclusion to the series!
The plot of this book was definitely a little more subdued than the last book. The first half was a bit slow, but still interesting. The last half was more action-packed. It was all so good, though.
The characters were fantastic. I love Call. He is one of my favorite fictional characters. While he may be the "hero," it's not something he wants, or is even good at half the time, which is what makes him so loveable. He's always making mistakes or doing something wrong, and then hustling to get it all fixed. Aaron was great. I was so happy we got more of him in this book. He is so caring, and hes the "hero" that never has to try. And Jasper! I swear, he sure has redeemed himself. He went from being basically an enemy of Call to one of his closest friends. He is always trying to cover up his pain with humor, but we got a look into his more serious side in this book, which I ADORE. And Tamara, she is still and always will be the glue that holds these guys together. Without her, they wouldn't know up from down. I also loved Alastair, Rufus, and Ravan. They were great side characters.
Overall, I loved this book. But most of all, I loved the series as a whole. But I wouldn't mind some more adventures from these guys!

ava_calva's review against another edition

This book was a disappointment. Didn’t like the way Holly Black tried to change the characters up after building them in the first FOUR books

hayleymorgan548's review against another edition

It’s finally here, the climax to the Magisterium series. The waiting for this book was one of the most frustrating times. After the traumatic events of the last book, the characters start in a dark place. Aaron is dead, again, but no one knows that Call drew Aaron’s soul into his own body. After everything that happened, returning to the Magisterium seems surreal to Call. Now that his secret has been revealed to everyone he’s even more of an outcast than before, being treated with cruelty and fear. But still, his friends stand by his side.

Since so many masters were lost during the battle with Alex, two students are transferred into Tamara and Call’s apprentice group. Call hates the idea at first; it’s just supposed to be Tamara and Aaron, the three amigos. Add to that it’s Jasper that joins their group (along with Gwenda, a friend of theirs) Call is beyound hesitant. But it’s interesting to see that though the two new apprentices don’t have the same investment in the events as Call and Tamara do they still join in on their quest with hardly a second thought. They even stand up to the other students for them. It was great to see these characters more, especially Gwenda, who turned out to be quite interesting and strong characters in their own right.

Call is still in love with Tamara while she still struggles with her feelings for him. But they can’t explore their relationship with Aaron sharing Call’s head. No privacy whatsoever. Call can’t even think about how beautiful Tamara is without Aaron mentally gagging. Their relationship had me cheering for them, glued to the page to find out if they get together.

SPOILER WARNING: Alex returns as a Devoured of Chaos which is intriguing. How does that even work? How are Call and his friends supposed to defeat someone so powerful with such mastery of chaos? Yet that only had me more obsessed with this book! They remained determined throughout which is beyound impressive when faced with such an enemy. Most people would have run away or broken down. Call nearly does just that but thanks to Tamara’s resilience and constant support he is able to face the most terrifying enemy the mage world has ever seen.

Aaron being inside Call’s mind allowed them to discover secrets about Call’s past. They find that Call’s history is much darker and more complex than anyone could’ve thought. It was a great reveal that led to an even greater mystery. What a twist! It felt like it could lead to another book or villain if they wanted.

When it came to the final battle, I could hardly breathe! How were a group of kids supposed to defeat such a powerful enemy? But they had faith in each other and their plan. The battle was action-packed and a triumphant climax to the series. But there was one problem, there were instances where someone who showed up then showed up again a few pages later. It was frustrating because it slowed the action and forced you back to reality. That was the only problem I had.

I loved this book. It was a great climax to the series with even more twists then I thought they could come up with after so many books. A great, action-packed, magic blasting book that definitely deserves 5/5.

bahnree's review against another edition

This was a big ball of incredibly anticlimactic scenes