Invasion of the Body Snatchers, by Jack Finney

lainibop's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

disappearordie's review

adventurous challenging dark tense medium-paced

jfontan1066's review against another edition

challenging dark hopeful fast-paced

itsmedougbert's review against another edition

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is one of those rare cases where the movie is better than the book. In this case, infinitely better. While the 1956 film adheres closely to the overall plot of the novel, it cleans it up, removing scenes that simply make no sense. In particular, the chapters in the middle of the book where the four main characters flee the town in fear for their lives, but then inexplicably decide to return the next day, after spending the night in an anonymous hotel, don’t make it into the film.

Jack Finney came up with an intriguing story but his execution of it was less than stellar. Character’s motivations aren’t always clear and the ending is tied up too neatly for my liking. I give it 3 stars simply because it has spawned 2 movies that I’m a big fan of (the 1956 film and its 1978 remake). If that hadn’t been the case, I’d probably have given it a 2.

scwmoore's review against another edition

Great fun! Very different from the movies, but still basically the same. It actually made me quite tense at one point, and I stayed up way too late listening to the audiobook again. I really enjoyed the entire novel.

Kristoffer Tabori is the narrator for the audiobook version of this novel.

3.5 stars

aksmalley's review against another edition

10/10⭐️ - My rating refers to the audiobook version.
7/10 - for the actual novel

If you are an audiobook listener, Invasion of the Body Snatchers needs to go on your “Must Listen” list! I stumbled upon it while looking for an audiobook on my library’s list. I get all my audiobooks through my library because I’m too cheap to subscribe to audible. It has the added benefit (besides being free!) of forcing me to try books I may not normally select because all the bestsellers have long waitlists. I saw that Invasion had won an Audie award and figured I’d give it a try even though it isn’t a book I would normally pick up. My image of this is the somewhat cheesy movie from the 1970s which I never really saw but heard was scary. I didn’t even know it was a book first. But Invasion was written by Jack Finney in 1956. This audio version is narrated by Kristopher Tabori and he is fabulous! It sounds like what radio shows must have sounded like prior to TV. He was acting it out through his narration. It is full of action and adventure and keeps you listening even when you know you should be attending to other things. And while this book is considered a classic of horror, I found it more creepy than scary by today’s standards. The narrator is the son of the director of the original movie adaptation which adds another layer of interest. I can’t say enough great things about this audiobook. It’s in my top 5 of all time.

bent's review against another edition

It was OK. Jack Finney has good ideas, but I don't like his writing. The book bogs down when he has his little conversation with one of the pod people. In that conversation, I realized that the movies were a big improvement on the book. I liked a lot of his ideas in Time and Again as well, but found the writing off-putting. I think I'm done with Jack Finney. I did like the ending, although it was a little deus ex machina.

reojames's review against another edition

If you've ever found yourself accidentally caught up in an old black and white movie, and then it ends and you think, Good grief! That was AWESOME! - Well, that's the exact feeling I had after finishing the last page of this book.
Jack Finney was such a great writer! This, I think was his first novel. Written in 1954 and published for the first time the following year.
If you have any friends that waste their precious reading time gulping down Stephen King novels, this is a book you really must give them. Maybe it will open their eyes to what really good writing is. You may save lives.

birdmanseven's review against another edition

As always jack Finney manages to put realistic and compelling characters into an observing and atypical premise. This book just works so well. There's a reason why it has been adapted and imitated so much. It's much more than retro, pulpy sci-fi. Give it a try!

We discuss this further in a special Sci-Fi episode of the All the Books Show.

and again here: https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/episode-247-lockdown-recommendations-books

vssbiwx0dvkxh6's review against another edition

The 1956 movie sticks closely to the book, but has a different and better ending. I would say that the worst trait of this novel is the ending, which feels rushed and not fully thought through. If you haven't read this novel or watched the 1956 or 1978 films, you're missing out on one of the best science fiction stories.