chills_multiply's review

I loved this collection, the stand out for me was definitely Wrapped, a story of a female archaeologist in 1919. As an archaeologist myself I may be biased but I found the narrative interesting and really compelling.

eyelit's review

challenging dark mysterious medium-paced

noaregine's review

bachrime's review

Such a lovely collection of feminist short stories! I liked almost all of them, and I can’t wait to read more by some the authors. My favourites were: Girls are always hungry when all the men are bite-size, Burning girl, Wrapped, How to knit a husband, and Andromeda.

amandar9fa2f's review

An anthology of weird fiction on the theme of women-centred issues.

Contributors include some of the best British female writers in the genre today, including Kirsty Logan, Rosie Garland and Aliya Whiteley.

The short stories range in tone from the fairytale/folklore style of Logan's Girls are Always Hungry When All the Men are Bite-Sized, the quirky-cosy humour of How to Knit a Husband by Cheryl Powell; the mythological Andromeda (Sam Mills), and the quietly unsettling The Losses by C A Steed.

Standouts for me:

This is not Forgiveness (Lorraine Wilson) - the fallout from recent African history
Dolly (Jane Alexander) - questioning the ethics of cloning
Wrapped (Aliya Whiteley) - my absolute favourite
Spoilerwhich looks at how women - in this case an Egyptologist, but you could read scientists, academics, artists, writers...have so often been written out of history

Oh! And I love the cover too, by Mancunian tattooist, illustrator and author, Hannah Mosley.

havelock's review