The Right Swipe by

amym84's review against another edition

Rhiannon Hunter is a successful business woman who is also leading the charge on revolutionizing the app dating scene with her company Crush. After ending her previous relationship with the man who also happened to be her boss at the time, Rhiannon was harassed out of her job. It wasn't easy to get started - what with the false rumors her ex spread about her - but once she created Crush, Rhiannon vowed to triumph over her oppressor with success. To say the least, trust doesn't come easy for Rhiannon. That's why every now and then she'll employ the use of her own app for a hookup. That is, until the last guy ghosted on her.

Samson Lima's name is a legacy not only did both his uncle and father play professional football, but Samson did as well. That is, until he walked off the field in frustration over the way the league was handling head injuries - or how they were not handling them. After having his team and fans turn on him, Samson put his focus on caring for his uncle who was beginning to show signs of brain injury from all his years in the game. Now, back in the spotlight, Samson has been tapped as the new face of Matchmaker the original online dating company. Besides a hookup a few months ago, Samson has been out of the dating scene for quite some time.

When Samson and Rhiannon run into each other at the launch party for Matchmaker's new campaign, Samson immediately wants another chance with Rhiannon, and Rhiannon wants to buy Matchmaker. Rhiannon isn't used to giving people second chances, but maybe all is take is the right person.

This is my first book by Alisha Rai. While I know of and am somewhat familiar with her previous series (of which apparently Rhiannon make an appearance) I am apparently late to the party. But I really enjoyed The Right Swipe so you can bet I'll be picking up more of her books soon.

I really loved the perspective we, the readers, get on the side of survivors of harassment. Probably one of the first thoughts that people have upon hearing someone come forward with accusations is "why wait so long, why now?". I think that Alisha Rai really gives us a good answer for that. Although no one ever owes someone an answer, I think it's important for people to understand where someone who has been through trauma is coming from, and we see it clearly in what Rhiannon has experienced with her ex, and how that trauma informs the way she handles herself in the present. How it's kept her from trusting, it's kept her from business opportunities, it's kept her - in part - from living fully. But the decision to speak out is a singular decision and should never be forced upon someone.

In a roundabout way, we see how Samson has struggled with his decision to speak out when he walked off the field in protestation of the NHL not taking brain injuries seriously. It definitely impacted his career, but probably more notably, it impacted his name, his legacy which is heartbreaking. But it is one of the potential risks when you speak out about something you believe in. Little does Samson know that his actions have done more good than bad.

My favorite part of The Right Swipe was the fact that never once were Rhiannon's feelings or actions made to seem wrong or incorrect the way women are all-too-often made to feel on a daily basis. Too emotional, too "crazy", too irrational. Instead of getting upset with Rhiannon when her past informs on her actions in the present, Samson remains patient and calm with her. Seeing things from her side which also, sometimes, letting her know why she may be incorrect with her thinking. I loved that there's never any fingers pointed as who's right and who's wrong.

It's a sweet love story about giving second chances and standing up for yourself and others. There were so many great secondary characters I cannot wait to see who gets their own book next!

jrv45's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

caseyeel's review against another edition

this might be personal preference but let’s not use a SA backstory as the foundation of heroines. bc it’s kind of cheap writing to make it their personality (trust issues), motivations (rhiannon wanting to be better than swipe), and also a reason to breakup or keep the couple apart (it was in the third act too). it feels like a disservice and also i like reading fiction for a reason

jesperfaheylover's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

kiaralovestoread's review against another edition

*least favorite of the year*

i did not enjoy this at all, let me start off by saying the writing in this was excellent, but the way the plot was executed....the pacing was just so off, at the beginning it felt like i was reading it for years, towards the end it felt super rushed. The sex scenes weren’t my favorite they were also rushed. Samson’s character was cute but i felt like he gave in super quick, which i guess was a part of him being patient? Rhiannon’s character was...interesting, i was honestly bored with her, i understand the message this book has and i’m happy it exist for others but it was not for me.

hrhaar's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

booklover2020's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted tense fast-paced

Omg I totally loved this book. I love the romance. I loved how she didn't give up when she was harassed.

🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️- the spice in this book

brandi_miller13's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted

ana_reading_the_days_away's review against another edition

I've been in a rom com phase recently and I've had a hard time finding rom coms with substance but the Modern Love Series by Alisha Rai is the perfect solution. This series examines love through the lens of overcoming trauma and focuses on personal growth while wrapping it up in a rom com package. Another thing about the series that I enjoyed is that most of the characters are people of color which is very refreshing after reading book after book with Caucasian protagonists.

The Right Swipe is about dating-app creator Rhiannon Hunter and her quest to buy a competitor called Matchmaker. The twist, Matchmaker's newest spokesman is Samson Lima, former star football player, and also the man that ghosted Rhiannon after an amazing night. As Rhi and Samson continue to interact, Rhi's anger at Samson ghosting her is slowly replaced by growing feelings that the cynical entrepreneur finds hard to ignore. Before their relationship can go anywhere though, Rhi must first decide if her feelings for Samson are worth the risk of getting hurt.

Again, I liked the diversity found in this novel. I also like the personal growth in the face of trauma that was examined, similar to Girl Gone Viral. Additionally, Rai examines issues such as chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease caused by multiple traumatic blows to the head that can be seen in many football players who receive numerous concussions. I thought that was really interesting because I hadn't heard of this issue before. Oh also, there was a really eccentric character named Annabelle. Loved Her! #StrongIndependentWomenWhoUseGlitterOnEverything

description

The Right Swipe deals with issues such as the trauma of sexual harassment, loss, and CTE (again not super graphically) so if these topics are uncomfortable for you, I suggest that you tread carefully. Other than that, I thought the book was great!

For more reviews like this one feel free to check out my blog: https://excellententertainment.blogspot.com/

sprucetree520's review against another edition

A cute light and fluffy romance. Really annoyed at how often caycos was mentioned and pronounced in the audio book version though and didn't help my home sickness