Honey Girl, by Morgan Rogers

givnuapeacesign's review against another edition

The storyline felt pretty contrived and stereotypical. Grace has just finished her PhD in Astronomy. The job interview she has been groomed for for eleven years has just flopped with blatant institutional racism. So she goes to Vegas, gets drunk, and marries a strange woman whose home is on the opposite side of the United States. The remainder of the book deals with Grace trying to find herself when the road map of her life has disappeared.

shaysbookshelf's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

This was such a fun and heartwarming read. I really enjoyed how familiar the characters feel, particularly Grace and her friend group. I only wish Yuki and her friend group felt more fleshed out. All in all, it was an enjoyable read! :)

teaskate's review against another edition

hopeful inspiring slow-paced

A self finding journal,for me it was an okay book.

ahayesthroughthebooks's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

books4days's review against another edition

This book was a pleasant surprise! I was thinking it would be a straightforward rom-com book about two strangers who get married in Vegas and then fall in love with each other but I will say this is WAY more than that. I do like that this book focuses on older characters than YA (the main character, Grace, has completed her PhD program, a life phase some of my friends have reached or will reach soon!). This book also suggested something that some romances don't really get into - going to therapy to work through difficult things! Oftentimes in romance, finding love is considered a cure-all, and I was really pleased that this book focused on actually getting professional help. This reminded me a bit of One Last Stop, which is a bit more silly and sci-fi, but these books share a similar wlw romance, strong diverse roommate/friend group subplots, and parental angst.

allanavanin's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

sandmoe's review against another edition

emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

haileyriane's review against another edition

More like a 4.5 :) A very beautifully written book. I am hoping for more books from this author soon!

furannah's review against another edition

ravens93's review against another edition

This was a refreshing read. It was quick and deep while also being oddly relatable. I mean, Ive never gotten married in a drunken night out, but the existential crises Grace found herself facing at 28 were all too real. It was reassuring to see such a raw and real depiction of emotions. I found myself rooting for these two, even when I cringed a time or two at the overly poetic dialouge. I don't know it was just...nice.