The Worst Best Man, by Mia Sosa

theliteraryowl's review against another edition

4.5/5 stars

koyalites's review against another edition

i listened to the audiobook version of this and it's been a while...

This was a typical, rom com that was fun but nothing really stood out. I really liked Carolina's family and culture, her experiences working as a woman of color and being a badass career woman. The main guy was fine. The brother can ch0ke. Trope heavy so its up to personal tastes.

Also, I don't know what is it with the male narrator in the audiobook but he kept putting on this voice for every female character in the book which made them sound a lot more annoying than they actually were which fucking sucked, so I don't recommend the audiobook.

helloalilo's review

lighthearted fast-paced

mpshain's review against another edition

Its cute but too much smut for me. I was bored at some points but overall enjoyed this book

heyanci's review against another edition

It's a 4.5

I loved this book and that cover *longggg sighhh* got to love yourself some romance during a Zimbabwean winter

love_shams96's review

emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

sadiereads_'s review against another edition

For the first 50ish pages I didn't think I was going to like this but I ended up liking it more than I thought. I liked the premise and I loved that it was diverse and taught me more about Brazilian culture.
But... the chemistry wasn't really there for me between the MCs and the first sex scene seemed clunky. It didn't flow nicely. I also didn't really buy the hatred Lina had for Max. They had no relationship previously. She barely knew Max. He was really just his brothers messenger and said something he shouldn't have. She had more contempt for him than her ex-fiancé.

All in all it's just an okay romance. I can see some readers loving it though.

*I received an eArc of this book from NetGalley for an honest review*

whatkariread's review against another edition

Let’s be honest- sometimes a book is marketed as rom-com when it’s clearly not a rom-com. I’m happy to report that this book a true rom-com. She’s a wedding planner. He’s the brother of the fiancé who left her at the alter. Now they have to work together. Sign me up!
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The female lead, Lina, felt the need to maintain certain emotional guidelines in order to succeed in her career. This really resonated with me. I’m still a work in progress, but it’s important to me that ‘work Kari’ and ‘home Kari’ are closely one and the same. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

I loved the enemies-to-lovers trope. The writing was swoony & sassy and the characters full of chemistry & charm. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

katsbooks's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny fast-paced

“...there's no single way to be a badass... There's room for different kinds of greatness. Even if you cry doing it. Hell, especially if you cry doing it.”

This story was super cute. I don’t know if it was fair to read it right after Eve Brown since I absolutely adored that one. I loved how Lina’s Brazilian culture was incorporated in a relatively natural way. The sprinkling of Portuguese throughout the novel and references to Lina’s favorite Brazilian foods were a lot of fun. The entire set up for the plot was awkward in a really fun way. The author did a nice job or setting up the relationships so that you really felt the conflict between Andrew, Lina and Max. I wish she would have gone a little more into Andrew’s issues because some of his actions didn’t really make sense to me. There was a lot of tropey moments (enemies to lovers, only one bed etc). That’s not necessarily a bad thing but occasionally the dialogue was a little cringey and that pulled me out of the story. My only other big criticism was the ending. The author really set up the central conflict well and I think by the end, the solution to those problems was not entirely addressed, especially those posed by Max’s family. I can suspend my belief to some extent with romance novels but I couldn’t help imagining a break up soon after the end of the novel because those issues would resurface. Overall, this novel was a lot of fun and enjoyable but I don’t know if it’s something I’ll come back to.

accidentalspaceexplorer's review

emotional lighthearted fast-paced

This was an enjoyable read, but there was something about their chemistry that didn't quite work for me, so it's not a new favorite. Also, I wanted the brother to suffer more than he did.