Sandworms of Dune, by Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson

jamestomasino's review against another edition

This is a terrible ending to the epic. The pacing is terribly drawn out. The plot twists are obvious. The brilliant characters are suddenly idiots who don't have backup plans. The resolution between the enemies is utter nonsense.

I know they claim this is based upon Frank Herbert's notes for the series but the heavy leaning on the butlarian jihad reads like Brian and Kevin trying to make their prequels meaningful. If that was really the direction being planned Frank would have had some sign in an earlier story.

The Ghola plots we're a cheap way to get readers in with familiar characters despite having no real purpose. In the end, the action of the main characters was irrelevant. The plans and plotting had no bearing on the outcome at any level. The extended Hollywood ending was trite as well.

If you, like me, loved the Dune books so much that the cliffhanger after book 6 made you want to read these last two to wrap things up... don't. Just don't. Your musings and daydreams are better.

ziptnf's review against another edition

What an epic book. Wrapped up the story with a neat little bow. The storyline was a bit predictable (I knew Paul wouldn't be the final Kwisatz Haderach for almost the entire novel) but Brian Herbert and KJA's writing style was direct enough to make it easily digestible. Plot points were quite linear and few things stood out as a legitimate surprise.

It made sense that Duncan would be the ultimate Kwisatz Haderach and would bridge the gap between man and machine. I wished they would have spent more time with awakened Leto II rather than a single chapter.

bgil789's review

adventurous mysterious reflective slow-paced

sleeping_while_awake's review against another edition

The ending sorely disappointed me. While reading Sandworms of Dune, I kept thinking back to the original Dune, and the tone and themes. Unfortunately, Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson have strayed far from the thoughtful, philosophical, developed plotlines.

I read the prequels awhile ago. Without reading the prequels, the ending on its own makes absolutely no sense and is haphazardly put together. Reading the prequels, it is logical, but then, the prequels weren't written by Frank Herbert, and he barely referenced any of that material. It appears that Frank Herbert never left a true ending in any of his last notes and this is a slapdash of happy, perfect endings, when Herbert never wrote in that manner.

I do believe the Duncan Idaho would have had the role he did because he was prominently focused on through the Dune series. I never liked him, and never understood why he was constantly in the story when he seemed not to have a true role.

The relationships between the gholas and the time on the no-ship was drawn out. Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune could be combined into one book. I didn't understand the purpose of bringing back all the gholas and neither did the writers of this book.

I have a hard time accepting that finality of this series is about robots and humans coexisting in peace. Where did that come from??? The ending was too easy, so simple.

Also, what was the purpose of the seaworms and how were they able to exist? This was never cleared up.

bruc79's review against another edition

Um final que julgo que Frank Herbert se teria orgulhado, nunca comparando estilos de escrita, visto que o génio de Frank Herbert era único e inimitável. A criação de Dune é totalmente dele e é um universo absolutamente fascinante e único. E deve ser lido por qualquer apaixonado de sf que se preze.
Neste final é desvendado o inimigo eterno que se foi recuperando ao longo de milénios para contra-atacar e é revelado o último e mais poderoso Kwisatz Haderach que é sem surpresa quem foi leal em todos os momentos.
Mas é sempre pela união e compreensão que a conclusão vai incidir, pelo menos na escrita, em procurar vir a construir mundos melhores cheios de tolerância.
Neste mundo que hoje vivemos de intolerância trumpiana, convém não esquecer os valores de esperança e união que podem sempre sobressair do ser humano, que tem a capacidade de surpreender sempre.

cavetoad's review against another edition

Another cash grab in the guise of a Dune book. The All-Star cast of characters written by another author are all here! (Why make your own when you can just bring back the classics!) and a plot that has no relation to the original books by Frank Herbert. I mean, if any of the big baddies or plots of this were hinted at at all it might be ok, but no.

kenzan18's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

ivaelo's review against another edition

Епичният завършек на поредицата, не беше чак толкова епичен. Макар да имаше напрегнати и интересни моменти, те бяха по-скоро второстепенна сюжетна линия. Липсваше дълбочина на повече от геройте (гола), които просто реагираха на определени ситуации, без да бъдат развити допълнително. Ползването на deus ex machina за решаването на завършек на цяла поредица, е доста противоречив метод, който накрая допълнително ме разочарова. Книгата успява все пак да обени герои от цялата поредица, и да отговори на въпросите, които висяха след края на Домът на ордена.

akumakos's review against another edition

What a mess hahaha.

alexmcarthur's review against another edition

a silly book