Three Women by Lisa Taddeo

gemmaviner's review against another edition

challenging medium-paced

csgiansante's review against another edition

This was well written, but the vibes were off and I didn't find any enjoyment in reading it.

mrs_bonaventure's review against another edition

This was gripping. I heard about it on the Cup of Jo blog, read the first few pages in my local bookshop and was hooked.
It’s about three (completely separate) women’s sex lives, but that’s a clinical reduction - it’s actually about their whole lives, their growing up, aspirations, wants and ways of being, what drives them in life and what shatters them.
The author describes it as a book about desire and it is certainly that - but I think it is also a book about power. About who can have what and why, about the choices women are allowed to make in their communities, about what lives they are eventually allowed to live. Time after time it was obvious where the patriarchy limits free will and choice, and their sex lives were in a way a microcosm of where they self-actualised as people, often the most accessible or only way they could in fact express their whole personality and being. There is a lot of explicit sex but crucially it’s written very much from the woman’s point of view and I believe in a way most women would strongly identify with, because it includes all the emotions, wishes, memories and fears that go with and are triggered by the physical acts.
I felt there was a bit missing at the end. Perhaps the author feels it’s powerful enough to stand alone and certainly when you step back and get perspective again, it’s damning. I would have welcomed a longer Afterword though, to draw some more conclusions.

emerlot's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective

dreaming_jay's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

sam_mm's review

challenging dark reflective tense medium-paced

slicciardi's review against another edition

This was fine. I was most interested in Maggie's story and was pretty much reading to get to her parts.

sgs's review

dark reflective sad medium-paced

This books was marketed to be about “women’s sexuality”, but in actuality is about sexual violence, abuse, and trauma. Nearly every trigger warning is present in this book.

I was hoping for an exploration of various sexual tendencies and desires in women and cultural reactions to them, but every single one of these women is abused and traumatized; their fantasies and desires are a direct result of that trauma.

This isn’t a look at female sexuality, it is much darker.

kirsten_mccormick's review against another edition

Some beautiful writing but mostly cringe and disturbing

michaelabraggett's review against another edition

I devoured this book. I felt so deeply for all three women and their experiences. For women in a place to be able to read about sexual assault and its impacts, a must read.