Disarming Donner, by Charlie Cochet

reviewerlarissa's review

Very sweet!

the_novel_approach's review

One of my favorite moments in December every year is when I see the cover reveal and release date for the next book in the North Pole City Tales. The covers are beyond adorable, I’m always so excited to see the new installment, and my excitement over the books is always rewarded. The series is consistently well-written and fun; Charlie Cochet nails every one of these stories, including this year’s.

Disarming Donner picks up with part of the storyline from Loving Blitz, where we learned the dark secret Cupid was keeping—that he was part Dockalfar. These dark elves are known for their bitterness and use of dark magic, which is a reputation Cupid’s brother Gunne certainly lived up to. But Cupid’s other brother, Calder, is completely different. Calder only wants people to see past the history and actions of other Dockalfar, and see him for him. Calder doesn’t want the other elves in North Pole City or nearby Winter Wonderland to fear him; he is a gentle and generous soul who simply wants to be loved.

While training Cupid to learn to fully use his magic, Calder develops a crush on Donner, one of the other Rein Dear. I loved the initial meetings between these two. Donner was so flummoxed and appalled by Calder’s cheekiness, and Calder couldn’t help but take advantage of that and do whatever he could to get under Donner’s skin. Lots of cute, funny stuff going on even before Donner realized his attraction to Calder. I enjoyed Donner’s character so much as well. He’s so sincere and kindhearted; I loved getting to know him.

The flow of the book was great. Cochet does a nice job, as always, of introducing the characters and building up the connection. The bulk of the story focuses on Calder, and his work on convincing Cupid and Donner’s fellow Christmas elves, and maybe most importantly, Jack Frost, that he is different than Gunne, and that he only wants to help the people of North Pole City. The romance between Donner and Calder is also lovely – they were so natural and sweet with each other—but, I think my favorite thing about this book was learning about Calder and watching his growth and acceptance into Donner’s life, as well as the lives of everyone else around him.

Though, of course there was an interesting and exciting conflict, Disarming Donner is heavy on charm and light on drama, which is exactly what I look for in a book from this delightful series. If you haven’t started the North Pole City Tales yet, I would definitely encourage you to read the other books first. But, if you are caught up, then go grab this one now! And, then join me in the long, twelve month wait until next December.

Review by Jules for The Novel Approach

teenykins's review

I liked this one a bit better than the previous one, maybe because it had a bit of angst in it in the end and that spiced things up a bit, but Donner's 180 when it came to Calder wasn't exactly excusable...

ktomp17's review

Donner is a Rein Dear and Calder is Cupid’s Dockalfar brother. No one trusts a Dockalfar, and Donner is in that camp at the beginning of the book. Calder is a total sweetheart. He doesn’t want to be evil and tries to do good whenever he can. It was a great little story about falling into the belief of stereotypes and not giving people chances. Donner and Calder were adorable together. It was great to see Donner see the heart inside Calder and eventually stand up for him. Great story thread between the books with Gunne. Looking forward to the big Wedding and to see Dasher charm the pants off the King.

I am voluntarily reviewing an ARC provided by LesCourt Author Services

cadiva's review

This was my favourite one so far. I loved Calder, the dark elf, whose kind heart was hidden inside his daunting exterior.

Donner was also funny, such a wee little prim and proper Rein Dear until he actually saw what was really in Calder's heart.

This series is just the perfect thing to bring warmth and happiness at this time of year. I love the whole setting.

relly's review

3.75 stars 🌟

This one is my favourite of the series.
Calder was a fabulous character and well matched with Donner.
Looking forward to the next one

bakarena's review

There was some nice brotherly love going on. Touching.