Nutcracker, by E.T.A. Hoffmann

meg_wadlington's review

I love these illustrations! Gorgeous!

allyshay's review

My mom bought me this book after I saw, and became obsessed with, The Nutcracker Ballet in NYC one Christmas. Many Christmases after, I would read this while the Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky played in the background and my mother baked cookies. Reading it as an adult brought back all of those warm and happy childhood memories.

aimeeelizabeth's review against another edition

4.75 stars

ireadlikephoeberuns's review against another edition

Fairytale with dark twist lurking around... I really liked this, to the point where I feel like it could be a new Christmas classic for me. I got the version with Sanna Annukka's illustrations, and just like with [b:The Snow Queen: A Tale in Seven Stories|28502748|The Snow Queen A Tale in Seven Stories|Hans Christian Andersen|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1474635656s/28502748.jpg|2535765] and [b:The Fir Tree|16673306|The Fir Tree|Hans Christian Andersen|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1355897341s/16673306.jpg|1737178], the illustrations made all the difference.

chrysfey's review

I had a Nutcracker as a child that I loved, so I adore this book!

aliviavanin's review

it’s really cute

kikiandarrowsfishshelf's review

I love my edition with its wonderful introduction and [a:Maurice Sendak|4489|Maurice Sendak|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1201028880p2/4489.jpg] illustrations. I love the music and the dancing that is the ballet. But there is something about this story that always creeps me out. It is not the many headed mouse king. No, its the whole ending bit. The story is about girl growing up, to a degree, except that it is rather strange because when she travel with her dream prince she dreams of a place any child would want. Than all of a sudden she is getting married to a little man. It's kinda freaky.

The ballet does it better.

But it show has some beautiful art.

iymain's review

It's pretty good. As the note in the beginning points out, by necessity the story had to be shortened to fit the picture book format. I love the pictures. The story, however, is a different issue. It has its moments, but comes across as more surreal and bizarre than magical and wonderful.

mybookshelfdiariesmbd's review

This book definitely puts you in Christmas spirit. However, I enjoy it more as an ice show and ballet.

obsesswithmandy's review

I remember seeing the ballet of this when I was a kid and I wanted to read the original story. This book was alright. It wasn’t as magical or whimsical as I wanted it but it was a good story.