Reviews for Welcome to Camp Nightmare, by R.L. Stine

findingmontauk1's review

another fantastic twist! loved this one - but I always love anything camp-related it seems! 4 out of 5 - full review to come

amberinoface's review

I always loved the end of these.

hardbackhoarder's review

I think this was my favorite goosebumps read of this year (though I only read 3). It kept me on my toes and I couldn’t put it down. I just had to know what happened. It was the creepiest of the 3 that I read too.
I will say the ending was quite a big let down, but I’m also used to adult thrillers, which don’t always have happy endings like kids’ books do.

rachelunabridged's review

dark tense fast-paced

honeyreads's review

dark funny tense fast-paced

clwojick's review

#ThrowbackReadathon

ceruleanjen's review

I read this for the Goosebumps-along, a read-a-thon hosted by Richard on Booktube. More details here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MctXtA5HWSY) if you are interested. And if it's no longer October 2017, I'm sure it will happen again next year!

Plot:

This is another one that I don't remember liking as much as I ended up with this re-read. This one is about a boy named Billy who is attending summer camp for the first time but unfortunately it is not a great experience. As a kid, I wanted to go to summer camp so bad I couldn't stand it so I feel like I will always have a soft spot for stories involving summer camp. I didn't remember much about the plot of this one so it kept surprising me. Some parts were actually kind of creepy.

Setting:

A summer camp in the woods past the desert...not spooky at all.

Characters:

I actually liked the main character, Billy, quite a lot. I liked how all of his cabin mates were different from one another and I ended up liking all of them. Uncle Al and Larry were very strange.

Relationships:

I liked the growing friendships Billy had with his cabin mates, though none of them develop too much.

Writing/Voice:

I love Stine's writing and the voice was good.

Ending:

The climax was good but the ending was definitely cheese. Still very enjoyable.

Overall, pretty good. Originally rated it a 3 but I think it deserves an extra half star. 3.5 stars now.

inlibrisveritas's review

Another one with a super weird ending!

yonnyan's review

Those scary stories about camp are all coming true...
Instalment nine is about a kid who gets dumped at a summer camp by his parents and quickly realises that things aren't as copacetic as he initially hoped!

I was surprised by this. It definitely has the creep factor down and it was also pretty atmospheric. I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. Although, I will admit that I'm definitely not planning on camping anytime soon... like ever, haha. In addition, the traditional plot twist at the finale--did not see that coming!

kategrimm's review

What the faq did I just read?