Rosemary and Rue, by Seanan McGuire

rankkaapina's review

I remember I read this book and liked it, but I have not much recollection of it. I feel like I should've given it more stars, but then again if it wasn't that memorable, then I'm not sure...

jayshay's review

I doubt if I'd go on to the next book in the series. October Daye wasn't that interesting of a character and she didn't do enough in this book to engage me.

The characters surrounding her were also pretty flat. Maybe it is the whole fae thing. The problem with having a book populated with other-worldly beings is that you might leave some human readers behind. Thought that Devine her old abuser was an asshole who exploited and fucked teenagers and that didn't change over the course of the book which is fine - but it also contributed to a pretty unexciting book overall. Yeah, it is funny that the most distasteful character was the one that actually stands out for me.

I like the idea of changlings (part human-part fae) being an underclass of the fae, but I didn't really get an emotional engagement. Perhaps it is seeing things through the emotionally damaged grey view of October that made the book so... blah.

The pacing of the book is that picaresque wandering mystery thing, something that again I really need intersting/fun/engaging characters to get through happily. With my painfully slow reading speed I noticed how slow the book felt.

***Oh, I won't fault this book for this, cause it is slightly older, but I might be getting slightly sick of San Francisco in books. I love San Francisco but it seems like it is getting overused in books. At the very least you really need to bring your A game to make it stand out from all the other authors who layer on San Fran window dressing.***

McGuire is a good writer and I will look for some else of hers to try. Maybe something that is a complete story in itself? Or just a different genre perhaps - though I think her other genre might be horror and I'm not into that. Oh well, such a big book universe, so many authors!

thenia's review

I really enjoyed this first foray into October Daye's world. The pace was fast and furious, the close calls with death were numerous, the interesting colorful characters introduced plenty and the story interesting enough to make me keep listening.

I never was a big fan of fae and their world, but I liked Toby and the practical way she dealt with her problems, recognizing her limits and asking for help when she needed it, if only after all her other options were exhausted.

One thing I really didn't like was Devin and Toby's attachment to what she still referred to as "home". That, and Toby's fiance's and daughter's refusal to acknowledge her after her return.

There's a lot of world building in this book, but I felt it necessary for such a complicated world. Looking forward to reading what comes next!

(I really didn't like the narrator's version of Tybalt and Lilly, but she did okay otherwise. It's a pity I disliked Tybalt's 'voice' so much since I found him really intriguing as a character, but I'm hoping it'll be better in the rest of the audiobooks. If not, I'm afraid I'll have to switch to the ebook version, if only for his scenes.)

tara_whitaker's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

marie123's review

The first time I read this book, I was interested and continuing. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't love at first read. But having reread the series a few times since then, I can officially say this is the beginning of one of my favorite series, that it's a wild ride that I highly recommend for everyone.

angelaaholt's review against another edition

On its own, this book is a decent urban fantasy. I didn't think it gave enough depth to the supernatural world within and the plot and characters were just not as detailed as I'd like. It was just a bit shallow for my taste. If you're looking for just a fun urban fantasy that you don't have to think much about, this will work.

It's possible I would have enjoyed this book more had it been what I was looking for. This series was recommended by a few fellow readers of Patricia Briggs. I LOVE the Mercedes Thompson books; however, I believe my friends were a bit off the mark. In my opinion, this book was more similar to Kim Harrison's series The Hollows. So, if you like Kim Harrison and are looking for something similar, this is a good read. If you're expecting something like Patricia Briggs, I think you'll likely be disappointed.

chantaal's review

A good plot, a main character to love, gradual world building, an author that trusts the reader understands what's going on and will stick around as the story moves forward: YES. Best of all? No unnecessary romance. (Not the same as no romance!)

This was the perfect starter for a series, definitely reading more of October Daye in the future.

(Yeah, so she's a little bit of a Mary Sue. But the good kind.)

meg_wadlington's review

Rosemary and Rue is the first in the series starting October (Tobe) Daye. She is A halfling and has been the knight errant to the Faerie realm, but she gave it up when she lost her family due to a fairy spell. Now, a friend is dead and she has to find the killer. Not only for justice, but also to save her life. This is a start to a fun series. I love the characters. I hope we get to know them more in the next book.

capernex's review

I'm just not feeling it. it's interesting and i might return to it but for now i'm going to put it aside.