Reviews tagging 'Cursing'

Ring Shout, by P. Djèlí Clark

escapinginpaper's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

dreareads_'s review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

There is something so chilling about fictional horrors reflecting the real darkness in our society.

Ring Shout was the perfect book to begin my journey inside of the horror genre and not only because it was short and action packed.

What made Ring Shout special was how it grabs you with the masterfully depicted imagery of horror, and it fully submerse you with the horrors inside of humans.

As a book that centers around supernatural KKK demons in the 1920's, the book never lets your forget that the true evil is the racism and violence that was endemic at the time. Yes the monsters were scary, and yes the demonic aspects heightened the tension of the story, but it was the undercurrent of reality that sticks with you after you have read it.

But it is not simply a horror book with pain, it is also a story of love and perseverance. Of honoring those that have fallen, and coming to terms with your trauma. What differentiates hate from need for revenge? What about justice and revenge, is one purer than the other?

And although the story was fast paced, Clark still took the time to show us the love and connection that existed between the characters. How a supportive and welcoming community is the greatest defense against the most evil forces.

This isn't a 5 star read. this is a 100 star read, and I need everyone to read it asap.

clawfinger's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

bookishbutch's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful tense fast-paced

I would read literally anything by P. Dejli Clark. I have yet to be disappointed by any of his books. The way he shapes his characters is masterful. The plot is, as with all of his books, emotional and beautiful and smart. I'm trying not to say too much, because I don't want to spoil the book! It's a journey best taken blind, I think. (Although be very mindful of the TWs!)

Also, if you're able to, please listen to the audiobook! Channie Waites breathes life into this book brilliantly. Frankly, that's the best way to experience this novella in my humble opinion.

Come for the strong Black women kicking racist ass, stay for the beautiful writing and the huge amount of heart.

ohkayeig's review

dark funny sad tense fast-paced

gracklewarp's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective fast-paced

literaryliaisons's review

adventurous dark inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

fromjuliereads's review

challenging dark hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

Y'all. I am so glad I read this novella. It was so amazing! I saw it recommended by saidbyjess (Jess) and bookslikewhoa (Mara) on YouTube and I am soooo glad that I picked it up.
The concept is so incredible. The writing is just so well done and really brings the concept to light. I can't even put into words how amazing it was. And it's a short read! Definitely recommend that more people  read this.
It explores hate and racism but in a fantasy setting - with those elements at the core of explaining what's going on.

Definitely recommend. Check out trigger warnings though!

sucreslibrary's review

adventurous dark emotional sad tense fast-paced

thought this was gonna be 4 stars but I just can't rate it lower than 5. with great characters (including a charming stud that openly flirts w/ and picks up women, loves it), some terrifying creatures and a heart-pounding climax, what more could I ask for?

rivercat0338's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced