Reviews tagging 'Animal cruelty'

Ring Shout, by P. Djรจlรญ Clark

forsythia_phlox's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional reflective fast-paced

Horror, fantasy, historical fiction, sci-fi, psychological horror: this book hits so many niches that at times it made my head spin. It's a dizzying and strangely engrossing story heavy on gore and body horror in ways both fantastical and frightening. At times, I felt like I was witnessing a fever dream; other times, like I was viewing a blockbuster film. (Were it not for me having no faith in Hollywood to handle the topic with respect, I would suggest making this into a movie. The mental images played out like one!)

I don't even know how to explain Ring Shout. It was a wild ride I'm glad I boarded, and I would gladly get back in line to do it again if there were a sequel.

That I'm saying this about a book which heavily features the KKK and racism is stunning to me. The fact the story in question blends monsters, aliens, spirits, magic, witchcraft, and folklore together with such a heavy topic then spits it out as something both slightly campy and coherent amazes me.

There were a lot of places where I asked myself wtf was going on, but there were also plenty of points where I felt intense emotion or was just plain entertained. And, as with any good horror, there were parts that made my skin crawl with unease - especially a few gory scenes and the intense exploration of Maryse's past near the end.

Don't go into this if you hate reading in dialects (the entire story is written in such a way and there's one character with a very strong and hard to understand manner of speaking), don't want to deal with on-page racism including slurs, or can't handle serious body horror. Otherwise, though, I'd suggest giving it a chance. The subject matter nearly scared me away, and I'm glad I didn't let it.

clawfinger's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

louisegraveyard's review

adventurous dark emotional informative sad tense fast-paced

ekmook's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

solspringsreads's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

This book is definitely intense, set in a rich alternate-world like ours with demons and monsters. It's graphic in its violence--understandably so, given the genre and topics--but I really enjoyed and appreciated the way that so many of the themes are investigated in the story. I'm not a fan of horror but I decided to push myself out of my comfort zone with this one, so I enjoyed myself pretty much as much as I could considering the content. I had previously read another short story by this author, and I didn't really enjoy the style or world-building in that one as much; I could definitely see the growth in his writing, which was definitely a treat and makes me excited for any future releases. This was a great introduction to social horror, and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who wants a more historical, fast-paced horror to keep them up at night.

rivercat0338's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

shahana_bookquoting's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad tense fast-paced

This book was so amazing, so well done! The racism element was so well incorporated into this horror fantasy world. The characters were badass & fun to follow. It has zombies but it doesn't derive its horror from there, the racial divide, the prejudice is where the horror lies.
And the way things were revealed, the decisions our mc made & the climax! ah *chef's kiss*

Special appreciation for the audiobook, cuz boy oh boy was it well narrated! I had chills down my spine at certain moments. The narrator truly elevated the mood & the experience of the book.

caseythereader's review

challenging dark emotional sad tense fast-paced

ย ๐Ÿ“š How do I even review this book? There is SO MUCH jammed into it. It's so incredible.ย
๐Ÿ“š Clark creates such a vivid world in just a few pages, and although I'd happily read more, it's also perfect at this short novella length.
๐Ÿ“š There are so many excellent and terrifying battle scenes, but it's also a wonderfully character-driven story.
๐Ÿ“š I don't want to give away too much, but I'm here for explorations of how hate manifests and mutates.ย

jbraith's review

adventurous challenging dark tense fast-paced