Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang

puhnner's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective fast-paced

lillypillygooseberry's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative mysterious reflective fast-paced

zainsdad's review against another edition

i feel like i should go through and give each story its own review, but Hell Is The Absence Of God and Tower Of Babylon were the standouts. yes, i grew up in church.

darkpsychereads's review against another edition

Dnf, it's been too long and I don't even know where my copy is, I'm gonna take this off the shelves. I think the beginning was amazing and then it got obscurely boring.

feeflebrief's review against another edition

This book was incredible. Honestly much smarter than I am so I read it in chunks, just to be able to chew on all of the profound ideas and themes within each short story. Highly recommend to anyone looking for intelligent, thought-provoking sci-fi!

jwells's review

challenging dark emotional informative mysterious reflective
Ted Chiang is astonishing,  but no one needs me to tell them that.

"Story of Your Life," in particular, is exceptional.  It's rare to read something so intellectually engaging that's  also so emotionally moving. Thoroughly deserves the awards it won.

whatsmacksaid's review

Overall a wonderful, thoughtful, incredible collection. "Story of Your Life" is by far the best (which is why they made a movie out of that one, I suppose), and is genuinely brilliant. It explores consciousness and the passage of time and everyone should read it. The rest of the stories pale in comparison, though for the most part they're also very good. I wish I'd skipped the last one, though--it dealt with such a multivariate topic, and explored a number of different sides to it, but shallowly.

paddy_langan's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

lildot's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective medium-paced

Like black mirror in a book. All these stories all had a creative and intriguing premise. The ideas explored were amazing, however not much in the way of character development.

storytold's review against another edition

As with any collection, the stories were varied in quality and impact—but this is a collection I would ferociously recommend for variety in writing styles as well as for how thought-provoking every story is. My favourite was the last story, "Like What You See: A Documentary": epistolary, extremely well executed. I have rarely come away from a collection with my mind changed to the degree that I have with this one. I am creatively inspired and awed. Excellent and well worth the time and concentration some of the stories demand.