Reviews for The Valley and the Flood, by Rebecca Mahoney

greyreadsbooks's review

emotional mysterious medium-paced

I was provided with an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
4.5☆
Characters-
 The characters in The Valley and the Flood were so well written. Everyone was very three dimensional and their backstories added a lot to how they acted in the present. There was a lot of LGBTQ+ diversity that was nonchalant and as a queer girl, I loved that. The way the four main characters interacted was so perfect for them being teenagers. The interactions weren't too childish but they weren't too adult either which is often a huge mistake I see in YA novels. The main character Rose struggles with PTSD and panic attacks, and although I can not speak on behalf of PTSD rep, the anxiety side of things felt very real to me as someone who has been diagnosed with anxiety.
Plot-
 If you were to ask me to give you my own synopsis of this book, I honestly wouldn't be able to. This book was strange and weird and very metaphorical and I loved that about it. My only gripe with it was that the ending felt just a tiny bit rushed.
Writing-
 I didn't think the author's writing and style were revolutionary or anything, but it was really good. It wasn't too flowery nor was it too simple and the descriptions were always beautiful and easy for me to picture in my head.
Overall, I highly enjoyed this book! I would definitely recommend it to people who like weird and speculative books.

lydiahephzibah's review

emotional mysterious reflective slow-paced

becandbooks's review

Find more at becandbooks.com!

This is a truly unique story and an incredible debut. Perfect for readers who enjoy the mysterious and bizzare style of the Welcome to Nightvale podcast.

To be transparent upfront - I DNF'd this book due to file corruption issues, at approximately 55%.

This book is written in a way that readers are constantly guessing, wondering if they missed something or if they are supposed to be confused. And it's done in a way that is incredibly intriguing. Unfortunately, this writing device was almost used too much and meant that when I had to put the book down, I didn't feel like I was missing much. Because I didn't know what was happening anyway. While the style of story is one of the highlights of the book, it left the story being less engaging than I think it could have been.

Something I adored, however, was the way it approached mental health. Throughout the story, the main character is dealing with grief and PTSD. Mahoney weaves these elements of mental health into the bizarre speculative happenings within the story, creating something that is haunting and oddly beautiful. This is done so in a way that does not take away from the seriousness of such issues. It is also the key reason why I am excited to see what Mahoney publishes in the future.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book. This does not impact my opinions, whatsoever.

agradstudentreadsforfun's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

cravebooks's review

emotional reflective tense medium-paced

areaderintime's review against another edition

Thank you so much to the publisher, Penguin Teen, for sending me an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really really enjoyed this book and am still thinking about it after I've finished it!I will leave content warnings below if you would like to know before reading this book. I love that the author put content warnings in the beginning of the book, so helpful!

CW: anxiety, PTSD, scenes of panic attacks and brief description of violent, intrusive thoughts that the MC has

This book is one of the most unique YA contemporary / magical realism books that I have ever read. I love how the author explores grief and trauma through this "flood of memories" that the main character Rose goes through. It's so unique and I really enjoyed it. I appreciate that the book is very pro-therapists which is awesome to see in YA. I think more teens need to know this message and know that it is completely okay to go to a therapist if you need someone to talk to for any reason at all. There were some aspects of this book that I felt were not fully explained that I would have liked to have known more about but I still enjoyed this book regardless of those unexplained aspects.

If you enjoy reading magical realism books that explore some darker topics such as grief and trauma, I would highly recommend this book. The writing is beautiful, the story itself is different and done really well and the characters are fun and entertaining to follow.

therestishistory's review

dark emotional medium-paced

katherinenzr's review against another edition

A stunning debut. Almost a year after the death of her best friend, Rose Cutter finds herself broken down in the desert in the middle of the night. After following a message no one but her should have towards a distant radio tower, she finds herself in Lotus Valley and quickly becomes embroiled in an impending disaster that she is somehow the center of. There's a sort of surrealist horror vibe to this book but like, funny. For a book about dealing with grief and PTSD, with a sense of doom hanging over the whole town, this book is filled with a lot of levity and forgiveness.

Also, I would literally die for multiple characters in this book.