The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky

bookbrig's review

slow-paced

benindem's review against another edition

Relationships: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Execution: 4/5
Concept: 4/5
Impact: 5/5

This was an insane read. And it very literally destroyed me.
Had me crying three times in one night, over the fact that just like Charlie's fun high school year would come to an end, mine would too, and it would end with my brother leaving.
It also sent me into a whirl about what high school was meant to be. Cause I know for a fact, this stuff happens. And it's screwed that it does, but it does and Perks of BeingĀ a Wallflower puts it out there.
This was honestly a bad things happens, and it sucks, and I'm sorry, but it happens, type of book. It was honest, it was sad, and it was happy. And it was honestly just kids trying to make the best of their own semi-miserable lives.
These are the kids who sent special who don't really seem like they're meant for something. The rejects, the wallflowers, the odd ones out.
It paints teenage years in a strangely perfect clarity, that gives way to the most relatable characters.
This was a sad book and finding out what happened to Charlie made it so horribly sad, but it was a happy book, of growing, filled with characters so real they seemed to be real.
I would love to reread it, but I wonder that if I do, if I'll be able to keep going after it.

rileymcg's review against another edition

emotional reflective fast-paced

livefromdw's review against another edition

This book is so inspiring it really makes you think about how you've been living your life. Charlie's character is relate-able on many levels. I absolutely LOVED it.

hap's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

antelucan's review against another edition

for all the hype, i truly thought it would be greater than what it was. i wasn't impressed with the book; much of it felt dry and hazy

mongreenbriar10's review

emotional hopeful inspiring sad fast-paced

molly_sbookshelf's review

dark emotional sad tense slow-paced

bick_mcswiney's review against another edition

A powerful book from a strong voice. Intricate and nuanced, this book covers some very serious and mature themes, so be sure you're prepared for that.

franzzz's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced