All of Our Demise, by Christine Lynn Herman, Amanda Foody

natashaleighton_'s review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

betweentheshelves's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

Every year when the Blood Veil rises, the seven families of Ilvernath compete in a tournament to the death. The prize? The control of the vast wellspring of high magick. Currently in the thick of the tournament, the current competitors have learned that the curse of the Blood Veil can be broken. And now the tournament itself is breaking all around them.

As the curse gets closer and closer to breaking, the champions have to make a choice. Do they work towards breaking the curse or continue the tournament as if nothing has happened? Alliances will shift. New relationships will form. All we know is--the tournament will not have a happy ending.

Thanks to NetGalley and Tor Teen for an advanced copy of All of Our Demise to review! I read All of Us Villains in basically one sitting last year, so I was excited to see how it ended. Especially since the first book ended with such a cliffhanger!

If you loved the dark, foreboding nature of the first book, you'll absolutely love this one. All your favorite characters return, each one just as morally grey as the last one. They're all faced with choices they never thought they would have, especially that of ending the tournament forever. Even though there are a lot of points of view in this book, I didn't feel like any of the characters were more developed than the other. They all felt like well-rounded and complex characters, which is a point for the story! It's hard to do that with so many different narrators.

The action! This book picks up immediately where the last book left off and doesn't let up on the action. Foody and Herman also give us plenty of plot twists to keep us on our toes. Plus, the world building is expanded in this book, giving us even more of this magical society the authors have created. I would read more stories set in this world for sure!

My only complaint is that at times, some of the elements feel a bit repetitive. Honestly, I think that's partly because the book is a little on the long side. Combining some of the events might have helped to cut down on some of the repetition.

All in all, if you're looking for an action-packed ending to this duology, you'll love this finale!
------
I think this is a good ending to this duology! Full of twists and turns and dark magic. Stay tuned for a full review to come!

thebiasedbibliophile's review

challenging dark mysterious reflective slow-paced

So many of us have been anxiously awaiting the release of All of Our Demise by Amanda Foody and Christine Lynn Herman! With the shocking ending to All of Us Villains, I was also excited to get my hands on the conclusion to this duology!

The plot is a little hard to discuss without majorly spoiling you all, so I will just say that the book picks up right where book one left off.

While I did find the novel a bit slow, I was thoroughly impressed with the book as a whole. The aspect of the novel that I enjoyed the most were the villainous endeavors the characters experienced. Too often, I find books that advertise morally grey characters, usually have a redemption arc, which is disappointing. I want truly villainous characters who are ruthlessly evil! In this regard, All of Our Demise did not disappoint! There is deceit, betrayal, and even torture…not that torture is something to be excited about, but you know when a character engages in it, they are a genuine villain. In my opinion, some of the things the characters did in the book were past redemption, which was refreshingly unique.

Furthermore, I think part of the reason why I found the book a little slow was due to the fact that there is extensively complex character development. If you’ve read the first book, you know the novel switches between multiple POVs. By the end of the second book those characters are almost unrecognizable! I don’t think I’ve ever read a book that not only pulled off phenomenal character development, but which did so for more than 4 characters!

Likewise, there was just the right amount of unpredictability that I felt surprised by certain events in the book. I wouldn’t necessarily say that it is shocking, but it was still unexpected.

Overall, this book definitely lived up to the hype. Between All of Us Villains and All of Our Demise, Amanda Foody and Christine Lynn Herman wrote one of the best YA duologies of all time!

comingupnovels's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

If you liked the hunger games or even escape rooms, the finale to this duology is for you. While the pacing can sometimes be slower, a lot of character work was achieved as each champion grappled with their self worth, overall goodness, and desire to end it all. Overall, highly recommend this duo.

zaineylaney's review

✨ The sequel to All of Us Villains is here! Will they break the curse or die trying?

💜Our champions are working to remove the curse. Well, half are. The other half are still fighting to keep their magic. The fights are a lot more complicated now, and the stakes are so much higher.

💥I was actually a little disappointed about this book. It was purely a pacing thing for me as it seemed to halt the action in favor of some situations that were busy work (for lack of a better term). Everything was totally needed though so I don't know if there was anyway around it. It just wasn't as fast paced as the first one, which I was expecting. HOWEVER, the ending was so satisfying and the little twists and new characters who work with the champions was so genius. You will want to read the first one or else you may be a little lost at the beginning.

My face at the end: ☠️

🍪 I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to @Netgalley and Tor Teen for allowing me to read this ahead of publication.

💯 For more details on the books we read, be sure to follow me on TikTok (@zaineylaney). I will give you a list of reasons to read! Or listen to our podcast, Elated Geek, wherever you subscribe.

akacya's review against another edition

emotional funny tense

i don’t want to review this book because i don’t want to be done with this world and these characters🫠 but here goes.

also, this is the sequel to all of us villains, so please don’t read this review if you haven’t read that!

due to the events of the previous book, things in this one are…kinda wacky, to say the least. for the first time in history, the boundaries between the tournament and the real world, and reporters are all-too-eager to get their hands on a good story about ilvernath’s greatest families’ champions. hendry lowe is also complicating things as no one knows what to make of him—alistair is only hoping to win the tournament to somehow cure him with high magick. and to make things even more complicated, a new champion enters the tournament—what?! now, the pressure to end the tournament once and for all is even higher for briony, isobel, finley, and this new champion…though alistair and gavin are still convinced the only way to end it is the “right” way.

this was full of so much action and so many plot twists. every time i thought things were winding down, BAM something new would pop up. this book really kept me on my toes and there was not a dull moment, between the plot twists and the increasing tension (so many kinds of tension…luckily this was balanced out well with funny moments, though!).

throughout this book, i really warmed up to all of the characters. i won’t say much about that except that characters i disliked/felt indifferent toward in book one, i began to understand and even feel for in this book. although we got the same points of view as in all of us villains, this one really highlighted each champion’s thoughts and motivations.

overall, this was an amazing sequel, and i definitely will not stop thinking about it for a while. if you enjoyed the first book, you need to read this one!

readwithkayy's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful tense medium-paced

Wow wow wow! One of my most anticipated reads of the year did not disappoint. It's a little difficult to talk about this without spoiling anything, so I'll keep this as vague as possible. This book picks up immediately after the events of the first, but it does do a good job of reminding you what had happened previously within the first 10% of this one. We have Alistair and Isobel, both badly cursed and hurting, Briony leading the charge to end the tournament, and many new outside forces influencing the champions and their motivations. While the first book had some elements that were absolutely jaw-dropping, this one had surprising elements in a different way. It almost reminded me of Captain America: Civil War in its plot design, being that we have two different sides fighting each other because they both believe in their cause, and in a way, they both have valid reasoning to why they need to do what they are doing.

The character development in this book is extremely well done; it had me rooting for characters I didn't care much for in the first. This development is definitely show, not tell, because as you read on, you go on this journey with the characters as they discover new pieces of themselves. I also found that the magic system here was cleverly done, as the trials act as ways to dive further into the character's backstory. This was extremely tense and emotional; it had be constantly bracing for what was to come and had me crying more than once! I loved the first book, but I think this one is even better, because we get to expand on the characters we already know and love and see them try to complete their missions. It is a little slow to start, but it's understandable when it picks up after a cliffhanger and needs to get the readers caught up again. Overall, 5 stars all around🌟

*Thank you to Tor Teen and NetGalley for the eARC, in exchange for a review!

librarianaaryn's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

kassiereadsbooks's review

adventurous dark mysterious slow-paced

trsha_h's review

AAAHHHHH I just finished All of Us Villains and I’m screaming!!! You’re telling me it comes out in August? WHAT?!

Edit (10/02): Look at that cover!! I need—