Reviews for Say Her Name, by Zetta Elliott, Loveis Wise

gracew's review

challenging emotional inspiring slow-paced

A good first book of poetry. It had moments that left me sitting there really thinking about what I read. But some of the poems just didn't work for me. A little too short, a little too telling instead of showing. Otherwise a totally amazing collection. Still well worth the read. The trigger warnings for this book are more or less exactly what you'd expect (racism, sexism, including mentions of rape and sexual assault)

themusingsofmsb's review against another edition

(Thank you to NetGalley, Disney Book Group, and Zetta Elliot for a digital ARC of this book.)

Oh, my heart! Say Her Name is truly one of the most stunning collections of poems I’ve ever read. It is equal parts inspiring, uplifting, and heartwrenching.
I read this book three times in one night, trying to figure out which poem was my favorite (I couldn’t pick just one, FYI). I felt like each poem was written with me in mind. It was like Zetta Elliott could see me - my fears, my hopes, my strengths. Then, I was lucky enough to connect with the amazing author herself, who provided me with an ARC with illustrations. Wow. The illustrations by Loveis Wise are simple, yet bold and powerful. They truly add so much depth to the already gorgeous poems.

Say Her Name is a remarkable love letter to all of the beautiful, strong Black women in the world. Zetta Elliott - I cannot send enough thank yous for seeing us, believing in us, and lifting us up with these brilliant poems!

ceah_reads's review against another edition

Zetta Elliott's Say Her Name is a powerful read, rooted in the past, branching into the future.

stormereads's review against another edition

Beautiful Black feminist poetry. Read it. The illustrations are flawless and the poems are amazing.

theromanticace's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

ap9's review against another edition

Say Her Name is a collection of poems about African Americans. It talks about Black women's’ courage, police brutality, and Black Lives Matter causes. The book demands for equal justice and to say her name.

I had liked the poems. They were straight to the point and clear. I loved the variety of topics that were in the Say Her Name. I love how this is a book and it is very important during this time. Police brutality is a very important thing that is going on, and everybody needs to be more about it. The book tackles a topic that is needed to be understood more by everybody in our world.

monetp's review against another edition

Wow this beautiful book! I devoured it in a day. It's empowering, original and unique. You can interpret it almost any way, as a feminist text, as a new poetry style, as a political agenda. It's reminiscent of Rupi Kaur's writing so that's lovely. Some of my favorite poems in the book were: "For My People," "Mermaids," "Mic Check," "The Crown," "Anansi," "Women Like Us" and "Sonnet for Ida." The format looks scary at first, but the poems are worth it! It's a strange combination of Kaur and E.E. Cummings which somehow works. "For My People" was easily my favorite. It speaks to me as a reader straight into my heart. The lines that wooed me were: "if you take tea with hobbits/or call Hermione kin..." So amazing!

These poems hold a special place in my heart. I will definitely keep an eye out for [a:Zetta Elliott|1847256|Zetta Elliott|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1486478696p2/1847256.jpg]'s writing in the future! Not only can anyone read this book, but many people can relate to it. While her audience is as stated young black girls, I still found myself relating to her feminist writings. Elliott writes candidly and hopefully on mental health, gender rights, women supporting women and self-confidence.

leonoraidos's review against another edition

emotional inspiring medium-paced

anamaria_izabela's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

pucksandpaperbacks's review against another edition

TW/CW: racism, police brutality, stabbing, murder

I really enjoyed this poetry collection focused on Black girl magic, oppression, and police brutality. The poems pulled at my heartstrings. This is a perfect coffee table book and I'd recommend it!

We will not apologize for our rage
You earned every drop- Tsunami

No problem’s solved until it’s faced,
But we have no time left to waste. - Say Her Name