The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset, by Suzanne Collins

malg4's review

Love the first book, but lost patience with 2 and 3. I think in general the movies are actually better!

linastories's review against another edition

Reading three books in one makes writing the review that much more difficult. Nevertheless, here are some of my thoughts (if someone wants to read this).

Let´s start with the first book. What surprised me a bit about this one is that the actual games begin only at about halfway point of the book, but I actually didn´t mind that. In my opinion, it allowed for a more in-depth insight into the world which is always good. It read very fast at the same time and after we stepped into the arena, it got that much more exciting. The games themselves were thrilling and brutal but not overly so for me. There was something happening all the time, action scenes mixed with some emotional and heartbreaking ones, all the good stuff. All in all, I enjoyed it a lot.

Then the second book hit me just as hard if not harder. Again, the true action arrived a bit later than I would perhaps like, anyway for me it delivers even more than the first time. I had goosebumps so often, I lived with the characters internally. I felt like I could truly understand them and their motives which is definitely a sign of well-crafted characters. Especially Katniss, of course, and Peeta. On the other hand, some other side characters, specifically Haymitch, seemed bland, but I put that down to the fact that we´re looking at them through Katniss´ eyes, who is, understandably but still, quite self-centred. At this point, I didn't prefer one or the other boy in the love triangle. If I had had to choose, I would've said Peete, but mostly just due to the fact that we hadn't spent much time with Gale yet. And then the ending came.. and I was so confused.

The third book was necessary for the resolution as the final battle was to come. The first part seemed slow once more even though there were things happening. I, apparently, am not a big fan of politics in books, so that might be the reason, nevertheless, I had a feeling that the story dragged and I wanted it end (sorry to say that). The action did come in the second half as expected, but in such a way that I couldn´t appreciate it as strongly. For some reason, I wasn't able to picture everything that was going on. On one side, it lowed my enjoyment, on the other, I´m quite happy as the scenes described were incredibly gruesome. The ending didn´t help as it only made me feel more hopeless and depressed. For me, this was not the conclusion I wished for.

All in all, this series definitely deserves a lot of praise, as it also gets. It has a strong message and despite the fact that the ending disappointed me, the first two books undoubtedly hold up there and I am very happy I finally got to this almost-classic.

littlebluegumdrop's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

whatjobsaw's review

Easy read and extremely entertaining. One of those "Just one more page!" books.

paucm96's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book, definitely will read the other two books to continue the story. The more you read it the more invested you were. A very good book tbh.

trippalli's review

Great series read them all

sgarrett27's review against another edition

Wow. What an amazing series! I'm so glad I read these books. I never foresaw the series ending the way it did but I'm happy that Katniss finally did find some happiness, even though it was through extreme loss.

I would highly recommend reading these books especially if you plan to watch the movies.

b_ikle's review against another edition

adventurous challenging inspiring medium-paced

I read it when I was 13yo, the avid reader middle school time of my life, and it was an incredible experience. The best part is how well the trilogy aged. It talks about family, friendships, government control, the effects of war and much more. It's not a light read for a teen, but at the same time it does bring many heavy topics in a language accessible to a younger audience. When I have the time, definitely gonna re read it.

nooker's review

I don't understand the popularity of these. The world isn't unique or all that well formed and as you think more about it is the situation it sets up is wholly unbelievable. Plus other books have done this before and better.

courtney_mcallister's review