Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley

amandaclaire's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective

It's such a relief when you finally read a book you always wanted to read, and then fall even more in love with it than you ever imagined you would. Just fantastic.

selenareads's review against another edition

4 stars

This is really one of those books that you just don’t know anything about from pop culture if you haven’t read it. I had no spoilers for this book and so everything was new and a surprise.

Mary Shelley’s writing, if a bit inaccessible, was haunting and quiet. Her descriptions were vivid and I felt like I could feel the chill and see the hulking form of the monster. There is something delicate about the darkness of this story. It’s not a horror book like we know. It’s not using any cheap tricks of gothic lit, or if it is, it adds a level of sophistication to them to where they are believable. In other words Mary Shelley really did THAT.

andra_mihaela_s's review against another edition

I must say I'm undecided on what I'm thinking about this "horror" story.

Mary Shelley was quite young when she wrote this and I believe that it shows in the flowery style adopted and the overly detailed landscape and feelings portrayed. '
Don't get me wrong...I don't think a particular way of expressing art is inferior or superior, but I won't deny being unmoved by the overuse of adjectives and unnecessary information that Victor threw to us (read as Walton-the ship captain that rescued him).

So..against my better judgement, I will choose to believe Mary Shelley wanted us to see under the facade Victor put on..to see the real monster and to despise him. And yes, I don't like him at all. He is above all...selfish...Humans can overlook and explain why we are "evil" to a frightening extend! >..>
I see this in me! I wanted to understand and absolve Victor of guilt...he was young, we lived in an innocent and pure environment, we was influenced from childhood by the wrong things, he was naive in his pursuit and rightfully frightened when he saw the extend of his abilities and ambition: the creature.
BUT...then he lost all common sense....WHO SPENDS 2 YEARS LIVING A NORMAL LIFE AFTER THAT????? WHAT KIND OF MAN EXPECT SUCH LEVEL OF UNDERSTANDING AND DEMANDS CONSOLATION????? WHO CAN SAY WITH SUCH CONVICTION THAT THEIR SUFFERING IS THE GREATER ONE??? WHO CAN BE SOOOO SELFISH????!!!

Ahem....so yes, I don't like Victor for the same reasons I don't like Mary Sue's...maybe he was the first one..>...>

All other characters were quite insane as well...example: someone dies... lets grieve for a second, but Victor you must move on and find joy and happiness!... WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? Of course Victor is such a self-centered nothing! Everyone is as well....Hmm..maybe the author was actually trying to impart this wisdom: people are the worst!

The monster was the one character I was invested...his birth...his first steps...his first disappointment and moment of sadness...I lived for them! The descend to darkness was done very well and it always felt justified. All the crimes and "evil" deeds of this "daemon" as he is called...were natural for most people...very few can safely say they won't be consumed with grief and jealousy and try to hurt in order to be acknowledged!

But why that ending??? I understand we needed a way so resolve the monster's life and role in the story...but why make him respond to Victor in such a way..It felt like denying his own right to live, his own importance, and accept the status of an orphan thrown away by everyone! I want a more comforting conclusion! One with him just moving on...but alas, this was written a long time ago...
I also want to mention that Walton disappointed me greatly in the final pages...he did not learn a thing...and I want to believe that was the intent.

In conclusion: this story is written well: the characters(Victor and his monster- who's not actually his, but his own person) are extremely detailed for us to dissect...now, everyone will see what he /she wants. The story is, in my opinion, a call for people to recognize the horrible truth of our human nature and be aware that we can always fall( especially when we have the best intentions).

I recommend this as a cozy fall read! ^^

letizia22's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious slow-paced

ok7a's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective medium-paced

ashleighbeanxo's review against another edition

Frankenstein is the iconic horror story which follows Victor Frankenstein, a man with a growing interest in science and exploring life and re-generation. As the tale goes, Frankenstein decides to create a being and using stolen human body parts, he creates and animates a body using an electricity. But when the creature comes to life, Frankenstein is shocked at the grotesque appearance and regrets instantly his decision. The creature is upset at his creator's dismissal and upon finding himself isolated from humans, he decides to exact revenge on his creator..

As I've said, this is an iconic horror story and while I'm pleased I finally got round to reading it, I've got to say, I'm a little disappointed. I was just expecting something different. The writing, while being beautiful, is sometimes a little too much, and then in parts not enough. For example, the scene creating the 'monster' is slight and almost no detail is put into describing the iconic moment. Then there will be chapters and chapters describing someone's feelings, or how the 'monster' learned to talk. Another issue for me was I wasn't scared or thrilled at all during the book. I didn't find the 'monster' threatening (despite the numerous murders
So, I'm pleased I read it, but not in a hurry to re-read it. Meh.

aydaybay's review against another edition

Well.. 4/10 isn't so bad.
Though I was expecting to love this book, I didn't think it was as dark as most people made it out to be. While I do love the Creature more than the watered down, the unintelligent version that plagues cinema; the rest of it just left a lot to be desired for me.

duizelend's review against another edition

A bit exhausting to read sometimes, but a very good story. Typical romantic gothic novel.

mliese's review against another edition

To be honest, I expected more from this book. I loved the writing style, but the plot itself was a bit... dissapointing. The ending is an anticlimax to say the least.

katierose's review against another edition

BRILLIANT, INCREDIBLE, AMAZING, SHOWSTOPPING, SPECTACULAR!!!

Okay but seriously what I really wanna say is HOLY SHIT I can't believe I was led to believe by popular media that Frankenstein's monster was nothing but a drooling idiot killer with bolts in his head. Mind = blown.