Reviews tagging Body horror

dark mysterious fast-paced

jenniferwong's review

rorikae's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

'Yellow Jessamine' by Caitlin Starling weaves a fascinating story within a novella length. It tells the story of Evelyn Perdanu, a woman who has been surrounded by death and is now watching the world she lives in crumble. But when a strange sickness starts affecting the people around Evelyn, is it merely a new plague or is there something more to the way that it appears to be stalking her?
Starling creates a lush story that weaves in and out as we discover more about Evelyn's past. It's gothic, with incredible atmosphere and the ending is fascinating. This is a dark novella that explores one woman's desire to bend the lives around her out of fear that started in her childhood. One of the few shaky bits is that large discoveries sometimes feel like they are dropped in haphazardly. I believe this is due in part to the fact that a novella length doesn't allow for enough time to properly weave in some of the foreshadowing that I think was necessary. Even so, I found this a gripping story that, though it had a lot to cover in a short space, successfully wove together all of its different parts. I hope that Starling explores this world further because it is absolutely fascinating. I can't wait to read more works from Neon Hemlock. If you are looking for an atmospheric tale that delves into nature and poison, please pick up Yellow Jessamine.

gracew's review

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

A dark story with a very morally gray queer woman is just what I needed after a lot of disappointing horror this year. Not overly scary but super tense with a very dark message that I cannot help but love. I enjoy the way the ending played out, I enjoyed the way the horror unfolded around the reader. I would have loved for this to be longer but I also think it was a good pace, it's just I never wanted it to end. Overall a really great, short read for people who like Penny Dreadful or Crimson Peak.

becandbooks's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

💕 Featured on becandbooks.com!

I already adored Caitlin Starling after falling in love with The Luminous Dead . But I was not prepared for the story she weaved together here. If you loved Mexican Gothic for it’s dark, atmospheric, historical setting – pick this book up ASAP.

Living in a state of mourning for her lost family, Evelyn is very wealthy. She also dabbles in herbalism. So when a mysterious disease starts spreading through her town, she is quickly roped in.

But it is not what it seems. And Evelyn is dragged into something much more consuming and dangerous, opening up her secrets.

Thank you to Libro.FM and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this audio book. This does not impact my opinions, whatsoever.