A Restless Truth, by Freya Marske

woodsofthebooks's review

adventurous emotional medium-paced

if i could give this more than 5 stars i would i love it so much it’s my child my wonderous being the first thing i would save in a fire (besides my cat) etc etc i could sing its praises for years and it wouldn’t be enough

valo_wing's review

Truly, where was the plot in this book???

rainyh's review

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced

bookish_selkie's review

adventurous funny lighthearted medium-paced

smallgourd's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

johneepixels7's review

Ok, I'll get this out of the way but this was definitely different from it's predecessor, A Marvellous Light . At first I had interpreted the difference as "not as good", but upon finishing it, I'd change my mind to think it's a different good, especially since it moves the overarching storyline forward.

I loved the intro, and then struggled at about 40% in. I decided to take a break (a few months actually) and despite that being a long time for a book pause, I dove back in and included an audiobook to help guide me to the end. Not only did it enhance the reading experience (loved the narrator Aysha Kala!), but reading it at 2-3 speed was a breeze.

Though it seems like it was the only way to get through the last part, I believe the actual story itself also kicked into the next gear: the characters and their depth, some surprises and truth be told, it started to just became fun, and I loved that. I knew that we'd get this type of fun as it was truly hinted at the start of the book, yet I just didn't see it between 20%-40%.

I believe if I had read it all in one go, this would be an easy 5 stars. But because of how I struggled at the beginning and then needed that break - I felt it would be an imposter 5. So 4 it is, but I'm still holding it in high regard because I am now set and ready for the third and final book in this historical, queer, magical series! Bring it on!

holtopia's review

adventurous emotional hopeful mysterious medium-paced

takemetomilos's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

A compelling mystery and an astonishing portrayal of what it is to love women, in its many forms. The clumsy beginnings, the hypersexuality hiding pain, women who hurt eachother with sharp words, women who love eachother as lovers, but will never be more than friends, women learning to trust one another. It has it all. Always toeing the line between friendship and love, pushing away and yearning.

The characters are fantastic:
Ross is based as fuck. Fuck the rich fr.
Hawthorn is shitty but devilishly intriguing, he is more sympathetic than I expected (especially knowing how he treated Edwin in book 1).
Maude is my dear stubborn darling, whose sharp morality is endearing, not imposing.
Violet, is smart and clever and dazzling and was forced to grow up too fast- she deserves the world. I will not be taken criticism these r my beloved babies

bscrim's review

adventurous funny medium-paced

cardanrry's review against another edition

funny lighthearted medium-paced