A Taste for Love, by Jennifer Yen

books_coffee_yoga's review against another edition

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Would you believe I have never read/seen Pride and Prejudice? So, I went into this knowing I couldn't compare. Let me just say this: I'm HERE for the baking and cooking books as of late. I just love them. Food is my love language and I love to read about it.

This is a super cute YA book about a teenager (Liza) who have parents that work in a bakery. Every year, Liza's mother hosts a baking contest and Liza is asked to help judge the results... not realizing, at first, that it's really a set up by her mother to find her a date/true love. All the contestants are Asian young men.

I enjoyed the relationships and family dynamics in this book. They were much different from the way I grew up, especially between mother and daughter.

The only part of this book I felt was strange was how magically certain people kept running into each other! What are the chances that someone from Texas goes to NYC and runs into another friend from Texas (also visiting NYC) on the street? Have you been to NYC? Then these same people are in the baking competition and someone in the crowd (who lives across the country) who some of the bakers have known for a long time (and we learn have problems with) is in the audience? These things just don't happen. I digress...

It was a predictable book but that's okay, I knew it would be and most of the books I read are. I actually learned a lot about Asian baked goods, foods and the process of baking itself. Highly recommend for a cute read!

** A free ARC was provided by Penguin Teen in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own**

bookishends's review against another edition

I went into this book not knowing what it was about, so I was pleasantly shocked as Liza’s mom’s shenanigans with the baking competition unfolded. Her mother was a lot to handle, and I definitely could not have handled growing up with that kind of pressure, so kudos to Liza for still being a genuine person. I really enjoyed the focus on the relationships in the story, especially Liza’s friendship with Grace and Liza’s relationship with her sister.
I love guys that are a bit rude, not because they’re mean, but because their social skills aren’t typical and they have problems completely trusting others, so James was the best love interest. Overall, I found the plot very fun and the drama was top-tier, although it did get a tad confusing at times.

*Thanks to the publisher for the ARC. All opinions are my own*

bibliophilogy's review against another edition

Review to come but I enjoyed this a lot!

thank you so much to times reads for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! this book is available in all good bookstores ❤

a taste for love is such a cute book ❤ it is such a pick me up book for me in between reading the poppy war books and i loved this so much and thoroughly enjoyed this one!

biancareadsbook's review against another edition

My full review can be seen here: https://sites.google.com/view/biancareads/a-taste-for-love-by-jennifer-yen

kenzie_simone789's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

pearlfecto's review against another edition

This book had a VERYYY slow beginning lol; but I understand it was kinda of necessary to foreshadow the upcoming conflict! The romance was amazing and I’m so glad that all of them had pretty happy endings.

liamariewrites99's review against another edition

Dang now I want boba tea

pawsomereads2's review against another edition

2.5⭐️
This book just didn’t hold my attention. I didn’t find myself caring a whole lot about the characters, the romance or the competition aspect. It was a fine book I just felt really disconnected from it. It was definitely cute and I could see others enjoying it more.

jannet159's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

littlewishling's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted medium-paced

I adored this! I didn’t even realise it was a play on Pride and Prejudice until I was most of the way through because I was so enthralled. Just full of fun and love.