Last Night I Sang to the Monster, by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

akmargie's review against another edition

It makes me really sad that it took me so long to find Sáenz's work. It is so incredibly lyrical and moving and devastatingly honest. I really loved it.

pg. 11
I have it in my head that when we're born, God writes things on our hearts. See, on some people's hearts he writes happy and on some people's hearts he writes sad and on some people's hearts he writes crazy and on some people's hearts he writes genius and on some people's hearts he writes angry and on some people's hearts he writes winner and on some people's heart he writes loser.

I think God is the wind. It's all like a game to him. Him. God. And it's all pretty much random. He takes out his pen and starts writing on our blank hearts. When it came my turn, he wrote sad. I don't like God very much. Apparently, he doesn't like me very much either.

pg.39
IN THE COUNTY OF DREAMS
I have this idea stuck in my head that you have to be born beautiful in order to dream beautiful things. God didn't write beautiful on my heart. I'm stuck with all my bad dreams. Bad dream for bad boys. I guess that's the way it is for me. Look, there's nothing I can do about it.

im_evie's review against another edition

3,5* I've lived eighteen years in a season called sadness where the weather never changed. I guess I believed it was the only season I deserved. I don't know how but something started to happen. Something around me. Somenthing inside me.

jpbldn's review against another edition

I cried whilst reading this on the train.

guidingkeys's review against another edition

dark emotional slow-paced

adesjardins22's review against another edition

i'm in love with happy endings

some books are like coming up for air, this one's like swimming to the bottom and finally opening your eyes

Benjamin Alire Saenz, I am in love with the words inside you. I gave this five stars but it deserves the whole fucking night sky. Thank you. Thank you for giving me hope.

28finewalls28's review against another edition

After reading Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, I had to read more of this author’s work. And so, we have Last Night I Sang to the Monster, detailing the time in rehab spent by 18-year old Zach, who is an alcoholic with a traumatic past and cannot remember how or why he got there.

Read Full Review Here

filipabooks's review against another edition

How Zach would put it: That really teared me up.

As I started this book, I confess I was expecting nothing less than the simply beautiful Benjamin's writing. I was fast disappointed since what I found was much different. "Last Night I Sang to the Monster" is the story of Zachariah, told with Zach's very own words, changing the tone of the narrative completely from the one we could expect.

However, as much as the first half of the book was hard to get through, beause I wasn't really connecting with this book's essence, it still got to me and my feelings. By the end, I was sad, broken, happy and somehow full of hope and possibility.

I think this book shows you how all of us are capable of change and improvement toward better days and happiness, and how important it's to let people get in, to heal, to help the change, when we're in a bad place.
I think that in such a horrible world and scenario, we saw a lot of love and a lot of beautiful things. And that moved me more than I thought it would.
Also, that ending was such a tight hug after so much pain and confusion.
Again, my heart is full: of love, of beauty, of hope and possibility.

sabsey's review against another edition

UPDATE: I finally reread this. The first time I read this book I was up til 3am and in tears. This time around, it's 6pm on a saturday evening and I'm crying just as much as the first time. This is such a gentle and delicate and heartbreaking book. Words can't even begin to describe the beauty and grief and pain conveyed in this novel. Every character, even the minor ones, are brought to life. You feel like you know all of them, and you ache for every one of them. This book moved me beyond words the first time, and it did again the second time. I feel like a different person each time I finish it. I feel like I've changed, like Zach's journey became my own. It's the type of book that is a very personal & unique experience for everyone who reads it.

I also think this is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Saenz's writing is really at it's most powerful and moving here. I wouldn't recommend it if you're sensitive to abuse, mental illness, sexual assault, drug abuse, alcoholism, and self-harm. This book IS set in a rehab centre, so it's heavy, but other than that I'd urge everyone to read it. It might be hard for some to push through all the sadness held in this book but it's so worth it.

FIRST REVIEW FROM 2014:
I'm kind of in shock right now...this book was very heavy and intense but the writing was beautiful and I would be lying if I said it didn't make me cry. I feel like this book changed me (though I'm not sure how yet), and I know I'm really going to miss the characters...
This book is a story about healing and recovery and facing "the monsters" in the character's lives, and while it is dark it's also very bittersweet and provokes a lot of emotions in the reader.
I highly recommend it (although it is dark and if you're not good with dealing with heavy themes involving drug abuse, mental disorders, etc. then maybe it's not the best choice)

dangerrnut's review against another edition

it was heartbreaking and it pulled out the things i wanted to avoid and i cried and cried and cried, but the journey was so wonderful, i think it might helped me to heal a little, this book feels so personal and it’s so dark, but it was beautiful, everyone should read it, you’ll take something from it

starfire2127's review against another edition

Beautiful and moving. I loved this book the first time I read it, and the second time was no different.