Impostor Syndrome, by Kathy Wang

megs06's review

kj80230's review

3.5 This was an interesting read. I heard someone say it was a combination of The American's (Soviet Spy TV Show) and perhaps The Circle?

rshaharyar's review

3 and 1/2 stars. I really enjoyed the premise of this book in the story was engaging enough to keep me reading.

I thought the book was going to be similar to The Americans but it was not. I wish there was more suspense and more back and forth between Julia and Alice. Once Julia knew that Alice was on to her I wish there had been more of her trying to outsmart Alice. I get that the author wanted to show how Julia was a little preoccupied with being a new mother etc but there wasn't enough spy drama that was implied in the synopsis. The story line with Pierre and the ending with Leo was a little flimsy.

jennivardier's review against another edition

fadodido's review

mysterious medium-paced

watsonthanks's review against another edition

The Girlbossification of A Russian Spy

slambeth's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

vanessazhang1016's review

The dilemma that the plot is built on is very one-dimensional, so the story was quite predictable and it felt as if so many of the details and other characters were insubstantial, and half-heartedly added. Didn't really achieve the commentary on Silicone Valley, Asian Americans, or influential women that I was hoping for either.

sarahklug15's review

felinesandfelonies's review

I'm not sure why this doesn't get a better rating on Goodreads. I thought this was much better than the rating suggests.

Julia is the COO of Tangerine and it's not by chance. Julia has targeted this position and worked her way to the top. The fact that she is a spy for Russia is only part of the story.

The story reflects the experiences of many women in the workforce who are trying to balance motherhood, marriage, ambition, and loyalty.

While there are elements of a spy drama, the commentary on society and gender roles is the greater lesson in the novel.

Although Julia isn't particularly likeable, that wasn't an issue for me. I think the dislike of her is more a result of her exhibition of characteristics that are more strongly associated with males. When I reflect on the novel, I feel like Julia is a literary character who is a stand in for society's perception of any strong, driven or successful woman.

I found the novel to be engaging, insightful, and a developed display of literature reflecting cultural issues that are prevalent in modern society. ⭐⭐⭐⭐