Contágio, by David Koepp, André Gordirro

amber_lea84's review against another edition

This definitely has that "mediocre blockbuster film" feel to it.

twistytornado's review against another edition

4.5 stars rounded up. Really entertaining, sometimes intense and made me laugh out loud. The deer! Enjoyed the audiobook narrator too.

maryrobinson's review against another edition

Entertaining science fiction about a destructive, highly mutative organism. The real fun of the race against time to contain this earth-ending threat are two of the unlikely characters unwittingly carrying humankind’s survival on their shaky shoulders – an ex-con, funny in a very goofy way, and a smart single mother, both of whom are just trying to make a living on the night shift at a storage unit. And they definitely ended up at the wrong storage unit.

xkay_readsx's review against another edition

A fast-paced sci-fi thriller with humor. Some killer fungus found in Australia in the 80s then was "safely" kept in cold storage in the US until it wasn't cold enough...

Pretty light on the science side, but it's still a lot of fun. 3.5 stars

Disclaimer: I couldn't get into it at all on the first try and returned it to the library. Months later I found out Rupert Friend,

waheela's review against another edition

Worse and better than I expected.

The good:
- not a zombie story
- very well written
- time frame was suitable
- nice point of view from the virus

The bad:
- way too much backstory of the characters - I got bored
- action was late - didn't really start until around 40%

Due to the good writing I upped the rating from 3 to 4 stars.

trike's review against another edition

All these books that have the same date for the summer of ‘22 are because I was locked out of Goodreads and didn’t note the day I read the books.

danterner's review against another edition

adventurous tense fast-paced

This was an unexpected treat - I picked it up on a whim and devoured it in just a few days. Very reminiscent of Michael Crichton.

jimbowen0306's review against another edition

If asked for a one sentence summary of this book, I'd say it was a daft mixture of The Stand (by Stephen King) and Resident Evil (you know the Milla Jovovich zombie apocalypse series).

In this book, there are a couple of fixers headed by Roberto Diaz, who do CIA/Department of Defence "wet work", dealing with biohazard and nuclear terrorists. On a mission in the 1990s, they pick up a spore that is growing like billy-o on Australian tribal lands. They save the day, only to have to save the day in present times, the spore has escaped, and Diaz has to step in to save the day again, along with 2 minimum wage storage facility employees (because that happens).

It's a daft read, but good fun if you switch your brain off for a while.

cameronbcook's review against another edition

Likes: Popcorn science fiction thrillers were my first love as a reader, and it felt good to go back to one after so long.

Dislikes: Pretty dumb!

shawntowner's review against another edition

A direct-to-DVD movie in novel form.